redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.
# 1  
Old 03-07-2006
redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null?

while getopts "abcd" opt
do
case "$opt" in
i) a etc ;;
r) b etc ;;
f) c etc ;;
v) d etc ;;
\?) direct actual error message to dev/null

exit 1 ;;
esac
done
# 2  
Old 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Pixie
Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null?

while getopts "abcd" opt
do
case "$opt" in
i) a etc ;;
r) b etc ;;
f) c etc ;;
v) d etc ;;
\?) direct actual error message to dev/null

exit 1 ;;
esac
done
Code:
while getopts "abcd" opt
do
    case "$opt" in
      i) a etc ;;
      r) b etc ;;
      f) c etc ;;
      v) d etc ;;
      *) exit 1 ;;
    esac
done

Just exit.
# 3  
Old 03-07-2006
That doesn't work. It still outputs that -j is an invalid option
# 4  
Old 03-07-2006
if you are so particular about the error messages from bash...
then this would do..

Code:
bash <yourscript> 2>/dev/null

# 5  
Old 03-07-2006
Playing around...

Code:
while getopts "abcd" opt
do
    case "$opt" in
      i) a etc ;;
      r) b etc ;;
      f) c etc ;;
      v) d etc ;;
      \?) echo "$opt" 2>/dev/null ; exit 1 ;;
    esac
done

# 6  
Old 03-07-2006
Else see this link - . Handling Command Line Arguments
# 7  
Old 03-07-2006
I'm afraid neither of those two solutions work. Both still print the error message, with the added bonus of yours producing a question mark as well, Vino.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard Error to /dev/null is not working.

Hello. When I run a .ksh that contains the command below, and there is no file available in the source location the "FILE_NAME_*.CSV not found" error is still being displayed. FILEN=$(ssh ${SOURCE_SERV} "cd ${SOURCE_LOCATION} ;ls ${FILES}") 2> /dev/null. This is interfering with the rest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the audio output to /dev/null

I'm using an text-to-speech synthesis in a script, and I need to redirect it's output to /dev/null how can I do that ? And how to redirect the stream to his normal output then (sound card ) ? thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firelink
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Stdout stderr to /dev/null

Sorry for my ignorance... but... I've a script with some output redirect to /dev/null, example: fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdb1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null How can I simplify this redirect ? (1 & 2) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device

Hello, When I run the following program: ssh 192.168.1.4 bash -l <<EOF > echo foo >/dev/stderr > EOF I get the following confusing error. bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I'm capturing stdout in a variable, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the import log to /dev/null?

Hi i am running oracle database import through a script and script scans the import log to see if there are any errors. Now the porblem is that when i run the script the import log appears on the screen even if i direct the output of import to /dev/null. imp "'/ as sysdba'"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't redirect stderr in bash

Consider: #!/bin/sh #this is a shell script in sh (bourne) grep missingfile 2>errout.txt It works from the command line, but keeps producing errors from the script. So how do I redirect in a bash shell...or bourne? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question