network redundancy with software

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users network redundancy with software
# 1  
Old 05-31-2006
network redundancy with software

Here we want to implement the network redundancy on UNIX with the software.
The two network interface cards are configured on the UNIX node,once one card is down or unnormal,the other can take over. Those aplications that used the tcp ,udp,multicast protocol can also been switched at the same time.
The question is :
1. how to monitor the network interface card is falied.(niff daemon might been ok?)
2. How to monitor the network traffic ?(include the switch port)
3. Once find the card failed or network traffic was high, are there any good ideas to switch the application?

If not the above, any other suggestions?
By the way, the above implementation should be finished with the programing instead of hardware.
Thanks
# 2  
Old 05-31-2006
post your unix version, the most of the unices already have daemons or tools for that, like on Solaris the IPMP/mpathd

post an output from "uname -a"

regards PRESSY
# 3  
Old 06-05-2006
As you know, we develop our software on the different platform, Then the UNIX version has two version:One is the True 64 UNIX, the other is HP-UX.
By the way, we want to immplement it by our program.

Last edited by Frank2004; 06-05-2006 at 12:30 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Network Management Software

We are a small legal firm in the UK and looking to upgrade from some open source network management tools we are using. I'm not finding very many commercially supported network management software solutions that run on Linux or UNIX for that matter. Does anyone have any recommendations? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrenton
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network monitoring software

hi can i know if there is any GUI interface software to help in monitoring the network of the servers i have? something like a web pages or a stock pages when a processes is down, a red colour is flashes. best if it is free ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Administration Software

Hi guys, I'm not very familiar with UNIX.. still have a lot to learn. I also interested in Networking... Can anyone tell me what are the tool or software for network administration which we can monitor our network activities such as network traffic analysis,can capture and decode network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nucleus
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question