Did You Buy any Facebook IPO Stock at $38 a share?

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Did You Buy any Facebook IPO Stock at $38 a share?
# 1  
Old 05-18-2012
Did You Buy any Facebook IPO Stock at $38 a share?

Big day for FB. Did anyone manage to buy any of the IPO stock before the bell?
# 2  
Old 05-18-2012
Nope.

Facebook will soon join:
Netscape
MySpace
Atari, Commodore, ...
38 Studios

By the way, 38 Studios is in the news where I live since the company got a $75M loan guarantee from the government. But appears on the verge of going out of business.
# 3  
Old 05-18-2012
You might be right! But at the moment, it has crippled NASDAQ and Etrade is too busy to even login, LOL
Did You Buy any Facebook IPO Stock at  a share?-screen-shot-2012-05-18-101234-pmpng
# 4  
Old 05-18-2012
I wish you were right but I'm not too optimistic. It seems to only be getting more popular. What's your reasoning?
# 5  
Old 05-18-2012
Just a flash-in-the-pan

Back, 15 years ago, Netscape was the hot stock. There are always hot technology companies, based on exuberance, but not financials. And with a P/E ratio of greater than 100... no idea on how it will make money.
Most people use it, like it, but would NOT pay for it.
So, how will it generate revenue to make it viable?
Sure, some will get rich - those that sell soon.
# 6  
Old 05-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
Most people use it, like it, but would NOT pay for it.
I see what you mean... Suddenly it's a business, shareholders will demand profits whether that's a good thing for facebook's users or not. I remember when dejanews tried turning itself from a newsgroup search into a moneymaker, the transition was painful and brief and now they are gone.
# 7  
Old 05-18-2012
Can we take unix.com public?

I would like to be a gazillion-aire!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Facebook links

Some posts have a live link to Facebook. This is a banned site here and on many commercial sites. It triggers alerts. How can we stop the system trying and failing to connect to Facebook? Example hidden (hugely long) link is: Like Interestingly, posting the link triggers the ERROR box on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

The Hacker Way by Mark Zuckerberg to IPO Investors

(0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with data reformat if share share content

Input data: read1_data1 read1_data1 read2_data1 read3_data1 read4_data1 read4_data1 read4_data1 read5_data1 . . Desired output result: read1_data1 read1_data2 read2_data1 read3_data1 read4_data1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Facebook

Im using Mozilla Firefox on my Linux laptop. When I'm logged in at Facebook I can see the general page but when I'm going to my "own" page I can't see the posts, just the head of the page. I don't know if it's a problem related to Linux or Mozilla. Greatful for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stock script problems

I'm have some trouble, I'm doing some unix stuff for fun and I can't get something to work I have a getquote.sh script: wget "http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=$1" -o /dev/null -O quote echo `echo $1; egrep "Last Trade:" quote | cut -d ">" -f 3 | cut -d "<" -f 1` to get the current trading price... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hinch
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What exactly is Stock Bit (t)

(yes i read the man page for chmod) and i did a basic search on the web. but it never really went into any info on it. the reason i ask is. when my systems receaves an email @ at certer user it has a specific mailer specified and that mailer writes stuff to /tmp well the orig. perms were... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question