problem implementing fork

Top Forums Programming problem implementing fork
# 1  
Old 09-24-2009
problem implementing fork

Hi,
I was honing my linux programming skill when this nuisance started bugging me. I wanted to create an empty file creator program. While creating a large file it must print # for progress bar. But the output shows it happening reverse way. ie. first it copies file and shows the progress bar(although the bar is filled completely thus showing that parent process is working correctly). Kindly help me in putting these progress # simultaneously to file copying. Thanks in advance.
Code:
Code:
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

static int status = 0;
void ding()
{
status =1;
}
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
int rc=0,fd,i,tem=0;
char c=' ';
int size= atoi(argv[1])*1024;
char *add=argv[2];

pid_t pid;
pid = fork();
switch(pid){
case -1:
perror("Error creating fork\n");
exit(1);

case 0:
/*child process*/
{
fd = open(add,O_WRONLY|O_CREAT,0666);
if (fd<0)
{
printf("Error creating file\n");
exit(1);
}
for(i=1;i<=size;i++)
{
tem = write(fd, &c, 1);
rc += tem;
}
printf("rc: %d\n",rc);
if(rc!=size)
perror("Error allocating size.\n");
else
kill(getppid(),SIGALRM);

close(fd);
exit(0);
}
/*child process ends*/
}
/*parent process*/
(void) signal(SIGALRM,ding);
while(1){
printf("#");
sleep(1);
if(status)
{
printf("\ndone.\n");
exit(1);
}
}
}

Output:
Code:
dheeraj@dheeraj-machine:~/linux_pro$ ./a.out 1000 temp

hangs for some time. then:
Code:
rc: 1024000
###########################
done.

Clearly these # should have been printed along with file copy process. But don't know why its not.
# 2  
Old 09-25-2009
It only actually does the output when it has an end of record indicator. Unless you tell it to flush it. I wish I could remember more of my c programming better but this will work.

Replace:

Code:
printf("#");

with:

Code:
putchar('#');
fflush(stdout);

This force the output of the character.

Code:
###rc: 1024000

done.

# 3  
Old 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2542a
It only actually does the output when it has an end of record indicator. Unless you tell it to flush it. I wish I could remember more of my c programming better but this will work.

Replace:

Code:
printf("#");

with:

Code:
putchar('#');
fflush(stdout);

This force the output of the character.

Code:
###rc: 1024000

done.

Great! Worked like charmSmilie. Thanks jp2542a.Smilie
# 4  
Old 09-25-2009
I can see some improvements in your code.

* In case the child process his a error, this will exiting without sending SIGALRM to parent, which will make parent to keep on printing the "#", even if child has died, so parent will keep on printing the #.
* #'s are relative to the size of the file you are creating. (they should).not to the time. For a small sized file, their will be 1-2 hashes. but for big, their can be 20-30 hashes. This doesn't tells the user real progress.

May be you can try without using fork.

-Dheeraj
# 5  
Old 09-25-2009
Since the #'s are probably( Smilie ) intended for human reading and not as output for another process, you should print them to standard error instead of standard output to kill two birds with one stone. stderr is unbuffered by convention.

Code:
// always unbuffered, fflush not needed
fputc('#', stderr);

# 6  
Old 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamdheeraj
I can see some improvements in your code.

* In case the child process his a error, this will exiting without sending SIGALRM to parent, which will make parent to keep on printing the "#", even if child has died, so parent will keep on printing the #.
* #'s are relative to the size of the file you are creating. (they should).not to the time. For a small sized file, their will be 1-2 hashes. but for big, their can be 20-30 hashes. This doesn't tells the user real progress.

May be you can try without using fork.

-Dheeraj
Thanks for your kind reply.
I really missed the time factor . Can you give some code to implement the same. A brief pseudo code will suffice. Also why many are telling me not to use fork(in other forums too.Smilie) whereas its the default multitasking facility in *nix system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Since the #'s are probably( Smilie ) intended for human reading and not as output for another process, you should print them to standard error instead of standard output to kill two birds with one stone. stderr is unbuffered by convention.

Code:
// always unbuffered, fflush not needed
fputc('#', stderr);

Thanks to you also ! Never knew that fact about stderrSmilie
# 7  
Old 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajsuthar
Also why many are telling me not to use fork(in other forums too.Smilie) whereas its the default multitasking facility in *nix system.
Does this program even need multitasking? You could make printing "#" part of the writing loop, or kludge something with alarm(). A fork() is overkill.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very basic problem with fork() using c

Hi guys, I have the following code: int main(int argc, char *argv) { int pid1,pid2,i=0; pid1=fork(); i+=2; if(!pid1) i++; if(i%3) pid2=fork(); if (pid2==0) { printf("sea \n "); i-=1; } if(i>=2)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with fork() while reading files

Good evening everyone. I have my finals and I'm facing a problem: I have a for cycle that is supposed to fork 2 children but somehow it forks only the first one. What am I doing wrong ? #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <time.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
1 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with fork() and execlp process

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a task to use a fork to create multiple processes and then use execlp to run another program to add 2 numbers. The problem I am having is we are supposed to use the exit() call in the execlp to return the small integer. This is a bad way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnathan_1017
3 Replies

4. Programming

problem with mutltiple fork()

Hi, can someone please help me with creating mutltiple fork.. I was expecting something like this: I am a child: 1 PID: 1215 I am a child: 2 PID: 1216 I am a child: 3 PID: 1217 I am a child: 4 PID: 1218 I am a child: 5 PID: 1219 I am a child: 6 PID: 1215 I am a child: 7 PID: 1216 I am a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Placenzo
4 Replies

5. Programming

help in C of fork() problem

i am a beginner of C, and i tired to fork multiple child and all of them belongs to same parents and each of child responsible for printing individual data. but i don't have any idea how to do...... Can any body help? thanks a lot really. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendy1089
7 Replies

6. Programming

Fork and then exec problem with signals

Hi All, In my program i am handling SIGHUP signal. In the handler i fork and then exec on child process same binary file which is running. Parent process will die after 10 mins. Now my child process which was exec with same binary file is not receiving SIGHUP signal. Below is the progran code:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushil_shalin
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple fork() problem

I have this little program ... int main(void){ printf("Before"); fork(); printf("After"); } output is this..... BeforeAfterBeforeAfter Shouldnt it be.....BeforeAfterAfter After parent is forked child receives the copy of program and continues from next statement... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Implementing TLS with Sendmail and having problem with cert request

Hi. One of my company's customers requires mails to be sent to them to use TLS. Thanks to some good documentation on the web, I've got this mostly figured out, but now I'm stuck at generating the CSR. My company's mail domain is sg.bunny.com (not real address, obviously), but the email gateway... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierreery
0 Replies

9. Programming

fork() problem

i'm just trying to make 2 process read from the same 1 line a time. For some reason only the child reads. #include<stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> void getlinefromfilep(void); void getlinefromfilec(void); int see=0; FILE * fileptr1; //need globe variable to tell pro3 to stop main()... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
3 Replies

10. Programming

fork problem

Hi, Consider the following piece of code: int main(void) { int i; pid_t pidp; for (i=0;i<4;i++) { switch (pidp=fork()) { case -1: fprintf(stdout, "Error during fork.\n"); exit (1); case 0: fprintf(stdout, "From child: I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qntmteleporter
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question