knlist API on AIX 5.3

Operating Systems AIX knlist API on AIX 5.3
# 1  
Old 09-29-2005
Data knlist API on AIX 5.3

Hi,

I have written an application which reports the CPU information like user cpu%, sys cpu%, idle cpu% and wait cpu%. The application is built on an AIX 5.1 machine. The appliaction runs fine on AIX 5.1 and 5.2 and their results match with that of the topas command. But when I run the application on AIX 5.3 for some reason the values are not matching with that of the topas command (eg: usr and sys cpu% are always 0 while topas shows values for these fields)

I am using the knlist API to get the address of the kernel symbol "cpuinfo". Then using the address as offset I am reading the cpu values from the kernel file "/dev/kmem". I am using the structure "struct cpuinfo" for storing the values retrieved.

I made a walk thru into the code and found that the knlist API has successfully returned the offset. I am going mad on what could be wrong.

Could anyone please let me know on what could be wrong....Is there any fixpack that need to be applied for AIX 5.3.....????
# 2  
Old 10-13-2005
I found that the knlist API is returning proper offset into the /dev/kmem file but the problem occurs when the dual core capability of the cpu is turned on the value is not getting properly updated in the /dev/kmem file. But the valu in /dev/kmem is updated properly if the dual core capability is turned -off.

Could anyone please let me know if it is a problem with the AIX 5.3??

Thanks.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Face-api.js — JavaScript API for Face Recognition in the Browser with tensorflow.js

Ref: https://itnext.io/face-api-js-javascript-api-for-face-recognition-in-the-browser-with-tensorflow-js-bcc2a6c4cf07 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run an API from a script and extract fields from output of API

Hi, I need to call an API (GetUsageDetails)from inside a shell script which takes an input argument acct_nbr. The output of API will be like : <usageAccum accumId="450" accumCaptn="PM_125" inclUnits="1410.00" inclUnitsUsed="744.00" shared="true" pooled="false" prorated="false"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

3. Programming

perl api

Does anyone have any example of how to use the perl api within Build Forge (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
0 Replies

4. Programming

Help With API or Code

Hi: Well, i need to do a program for control the labs time of the students in my university. This program that I have to do it got to be on C++ or C, and have to do a several things like, check all the process that the user execute when he star his session on KDE or console, sometime close an no... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: leonel06033
0 Replies

5. Programming

C/C++ System Programming API for AIX

Hi, I'm trying to locate the API information that is used for system programming on IBM's AIX operating system and other programming resources for AIX (language C/C++), I've had a look around the IBM website/Internet but I don't seem to be able to find anything that is up to date. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlockuk
1 Replies

6. AIX

JMS C API library for AIX

Hi, I am looking for just the JMS C API libraries for AIX (hopfully I don't have to install websphere!), I have found them for Sun, HP and Linux, but not for AIX. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTBlack
0 Replies

7. Programming

LDAP - is there an API

Hi, I've just been experimenting with AIX's ldapsearch utility - I've been successfully using it to retrieve information from an Active Directory, however, I need to make similar calls from a C program. Is there a suitable LDAP API on AIX which will give me similar capabilties to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phykell
3 Replies

8. AIX

Problem with knlist in AIX 5.3 for Power5 processor

Hi all, I have a AIX 5.3 Installation on the Power5 processor. I am using the knlist API for getting the details of the CPU details like user cpu, kernel cpu, idle cpu and wait cpu. My code is working fine on other Installations of AIX like PowerPC_POWER4 but it is giving wrong values on Power5... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesht
0 Replies

9. AIX

Issue with AIX 5.3 and nlist/nlist64/knlist

I have encountered a problem that I cannot resolve. We have two different AIX 5.3 boxes. On one box, regardless of whether it is booted in 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode, I can obtain kernel metrics (i.e, using kernel symbol names sysinfo or avenrun) via the nlink or nlink64 system call. On... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawrence
0 Replies

10. AIX

API question

Machine and OS : IBM 7044-170 AIX 4.3.3 Hi, everyone I have a question , pls help me to resolve. In IBM AIX , how to obtain the CPU Load and other infomations by System API Fuction. Wait for your reply ......., Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: q30
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question