Bash can't find file but tcsh can why?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash can't find file but tcsh can why?
# 1  
Old 02-24-2011
Bash can't find file but tcsh can why?

I have a short script for compiling an old program. It's a simple text file 'ccprog' created in emacs. The permissions were changed with 'chmod 775 ccprog' to make it an executable. When I try to run ccprog I get "bash: ./ccprog: No such file or directory". If I change to tcsh ccprog runs. Why doesn't bash see this file??
# 2  
Old 02-24-2011
Please post the exact commands that you're executing and the exact output that you're getting: just copy/paste from your terminal.
# 3  
Old 02-25-2011
The file is ccprog. The contents of ccprog are:

cc -I/usr/X11R6/lib -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 antplot.c -o runantplot /usr/ X11R6/lib/l*.a -lm

The permissions on ccprog are: -rwxrwxr-x
I own the file and file file in in my group.

in bash the command ccprog results in-

>ccprog
bash: ./ccprog: No such file or directory

In tcsh ccprog compiles - that is runs the commands in ccprog:

>tcsh
>ccprog
Results in producing runantplot

I have no problem running other executables I've generated such as runantplot, but when I put commands together in a text file and chmod 775 <text filename> bash doesn't "see" the file but tcsh will.

What's up with bash??
# 4  
Old 02-25-2011
What's the output of the following command, when you're executing it from bash?

Code:
type cc

# 5  
Old 02-25-2011
Type command not found.

But cc is symbolically linked to gcc in /usr/bin
# 6  
Old 02-25-2011
So I suppose the problem is PATH related: csh is using a different values.
Try setting the path correctly, before invoking the script:
Code:
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/cc
export PATH
./ccprog

# 7  
Old 02-25-2011
Answer is environment. PATH, current directory in PATH or not. If not in the PATH then you must tell it.
Code:
# . not in PATH
./ccprog
# . in PATH
PATH=$PATH:.
ccprog

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash command to find a file and print contents

I need to find a file and print its contents I am trying but it is not working find -path /opt/app-root/src/.npm/_logs -type f -name "*.log" -print Version $ bash -version GNU bash, version 4.4.12(1)-release (x86_64-pc-msys) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tcsh Script runs in terminal but not folder

So, I made a script beginning with #!/bin/bash on gedit. And I double clicked it to run in terminal and I end up with "The child process exited normally with status 127" and "command not found". If I run the same script from the terminal as "tcsh (script name)" it runs just fine. If I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OntorEska
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find comments in file

As I stated in a previous thread - I'm a newbie to Unix/Linux and programming. I'm trying to learn the basics on my own using a couple books and the exercises provided inside. I've reached an exercise that has me stumped. I need to write a bash script that will will read in a file and print the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory

Hello, When i run a bash script on ubuntu i get this message.. #!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory... Can anibody help me with this, because the file actually exists.... Is there any extra configuration to be made? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliveiraum
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

An alternative to BASH/TCSH?

Greetings! I love the power and control offered by BASH but detest its syntax! Is there some alternative *nix shell language? (other than TCSH) Or maybe a wrapper that affords the use of BASH commands via an easier syntax? I considered creating a complicated system of aliases to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koalaboration
8 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to find tcsh shell version info in HP-UX?

Hi, I need to find tcsh shell version info on several boxes. I made a script and running on boxes through SSH. This is what i am doing : echo /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' | ssh "box name" but i dont see anything. if i run /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' on ocal machine i see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

for / foreach syntax issues (in bash or tcsh)

So I am new to unix, and actually anything outside drag and drop with the mouse (been learning for about a week so far) . I have been using the foreach command in tcsh because I am working on a group of files. Basically what I need is to insert part of the filename as the first line in the file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepolypore
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$ in sed under tcsh vs bash

In bash, I can match the ' character in a substition involving the line ending symbol $, easily. In tcsh I ran into a problem. Code: sed "s/$/'/g" filename sed "s/$/'/g" < filename sed -e "s/$/'/g" filename Unmatched '. Where can I find out why this is the case? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to : Find duplicate number from file? with bash

Thanks AVKlinux (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question