Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers difference between set and export Post 99945 by 98_1LE on Wednesday 22nd of February 2006 12:28:07 PM
Old 02-22-2006
It varies by shell, but basically the set command is used to define a variable for the current shell. The export command is used to define the variable as one that subshells (shells spawned from the original) should inherit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between SET and SETENV

I never undestood exactly what's the difference between the SET and SETENV commands. One sets variables visible to all users and the other (SETENV) only to the specific user environment ? Thanks in advance, BraZil - thE heLL iS HEre :mad: !!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

typeset and export command difference

Can anyone please explain what the difference is between these two commands typeset - ? export - i know with this even child process can read the variable Declare - ? i use bash shell http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/bashref.html#SEC58 states that " The typeset command is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemsb
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of set, export and typeset

what is the difference in usage of set, export, typeset while declaring a value to a variable can any one help thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to export ENV variables, which remains set for all the shell

Hi ! How to export ENV variables, which remains set for all the shell Example :- Login :myID Pwd : **** -> Here my ID .profile is executed. Let say I set MYENV variable Kisses% rlogin ABC -l XXXGroupID -> I login into a remote Solaris Server ABC password : **** -> "XXXGroupID's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if export DISPLAY is set or not?

Hi All, I use "export DISPLAY=same_host:0.0" to set my export DISPLAY and it is working fine for me.. Problem here is I have developed a script for which i should run export DISPLAY prior to running my script.... so my script should check whether export DISPLAY is set or not.. if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

8. Solaris

export vs env vs set commands

Hi I'm trying to understand variable scopes in solaris10. It is said that to display env variables we use 3 commands : - env - set - export What is the difference between them ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:50 AM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX and Linux difference (character set)

I'm having a problem regarding the encoding of my files in Linux and AIX. I have a file which can be viewed both in Linux and AIX (via NetApp mount). When I checked the encoding, they have difference. In Linux, the file is encoded as ISO-8859 text. (checked by using "file" command).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Set, setenv or export? Confused between three options

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: userexperience
7 Replies
asadmin-unset(1AS)						   User Commands						asadmin-unset(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-unset, unset - removes one or more variables from the multimode environment SYNOPSIS
unset env_var [env_var]* Removes one or more variables you set for the multimode environment. The variables and their associated values will no longer exist in the environment. OPERANDS
env_var environment variable to be removed. Example 1: Using unset to remove environment variables asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=password asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> unset AS_ADMIN_PREFIX asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** Using the export command without the argument lists the environment variables that are set. Notice the AS_ADMIN_PREFIX is not in the envi- ronment after running the unset command. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-export(1AS), asadmin-multimode(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-unset(1AS)