Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /home Subdirectories
Operating Systems Solaris /home Subdirectories Post 99810 by Garry_Garrett on Tuesday 21st of February 2006 06:44:21 PM
Old 02-21-2006
In Solaris 8 (i.e. SunOS 5.8 - there is no such thing as "unix 5.8"), /home by default is owned by the automounter, wether or not you have NIS installed. Pressy's solution above is the only way to make the automounter let go of /home. There is no way to create any subdirectories in /home unless you make the automounter let go.

In Solaris, useradd does not create home directories for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all subdirectories?

Dear All, I want to write the Unix command that searches through all subdirectories, finds the files named ''core'' and deletes them. I will very much appreciate your help. David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_wang
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see all the subdirectories easily?

Suppose I have two directories a and b. Each directory has a few subdirectories, a1 a2 a3 and b1, b2, b3 respectively. Using ls, I can see a and b. Then I need cd a, ls, cd ../b, ls to see all the subdirectories. How to see all the directories and subdirectories easily, say using just one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through subdirectories

Hi, How to loop through all the subdirectories in a directory, merge the files present in it to a single file in that subdirectory itself and remove the original files? Please advise. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
5 Replies

4. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

5. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help me on how to loop subdirectories

Here is my question in bash for f in f1 f2 do cd $f cd ??? # i need to enter the two layers of sub folders then find the folder named "abcde" ? cd .. # how to get out two layers subdirectories? cd .. done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me on how to loop subdirectories

Here is my question in bash for f in f1 f2 do cd $f cd ??? # i need to enter the two layers of sub folders then find the folder named "abcde" ? cd .. # how to get out two layers subdirectories? cd .. done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help

:( ---------- Post updated at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:50 AM ---------- Not working ---------- Post updated at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ---------- cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.`date` i am using this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff different subdirectories

I have 2 directories a/ and b/, they have different subdirectories, how to diff with missing file, or missing subdirectory and if i have in a/ directory "a/ACD/DEF" DEF is a file, but in b/ directory "b/ACD/DEF is a SUBDIRECTORY, how to diff it, thanks my solution for directories, ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knajta
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed through all subdirectories?

I found this awesome sed script here: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/48228-perl-search-string-line-then-search-replace-text.html sed -i '/MatchText/ s/ReplaceMe/REPLACED/' filename Question though to save me manually doing this. How do I do this from a root directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
6 Replies
AUTO.MASTER(5)							File Formats Manual						    AUTO.MASTER(5)

NAME
/etc/auto.master - Master Map for automounter DESCRIPTION
The auto.master map is consulted when the autofs(8) script is invoked to set up the necessary mount points for the automounter. Each line in this file describes a mount point and points to another file describing the file systems to be mounted under this mountpoint. The access to those maps is governed by a key. Access to an automounted file system is customarily done using the path scheme: /mountpoint/key/path/file, where the mountpoint will be listed in the auto.master configuration file. The key is matched in the map file pointed to by the master map (See autofs(5)). The path and the file are referring to the file on the file system mounted. FORMAT
The file has three fields separated by an arbitrary number of blanks or tabs. Lines beginning with # are comments. The first field is the mount point. Second field is the map file to be consulted for this mount-point. This field is of the form maptype:mapname, where maptype is one of the supported map types (file, program, yp, nisplus, hesiod, userdir, ldap), and mapname is the name of the map. The third field is optional and can contain options to+ be applied to all entries in the map. Options are cumulative, which is a difference from the behav- ior of the SunOS automounter. The format of the map file and the options are described in autofs(5). EXAMPLE
/home /etc/auto.home /misc /etc/auto.misc /mnt yp:mnt.map This will generate three mountpoints /home, /misc, and /mnt. All accesses to /home will lead to the consultation of the map in /etc/auto.home, all accesses to /misc will consult the map in /etc/auto.misc, and all accesses to /mnt will consult the NIS map mnt.map. SEE ALSO
automount(8), autofs(5), autofs(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Edited by <hpa@transmeta.com>. 19 Jun 2000 AUTO.MASTER(5)