Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Grep Post 99783 by atagore on Tuesday 21st of February 2006 01:38:58 PM
Old 02-21-2006
Tools Grep

When searching for "text" in a file,
I would like to see the line containing "text"
and the line preceeding
and the line after
So I would like a 3 line output for each line matched by grep
Is there a quick way to accomplish this?
Example--

FILE.DAT contains

abcdef
xyz
hijklmnop

I would like the search for "xyz" to yield results such as:

FILE.DAT:2: 123456789
FILE.DAT:3: xyz
FILE.DAT:4: hijklmnop

Any suggestions?

A Tagore
atagore2@juno.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between grep, egrep & grep -i

Hi All, Please i need to know the difference between grep, egrep & grep -i when used to serach through a file. My platform is SunOS 5.9 & i'm using the korn shell. Regards, - divroro12 - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divroro12
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advanced grep'in... grep for data next to static element.

I have a directory I need to grep which consists of numbered sub directories. The sub directory names change daily. A file resides in this main directory that shows which sub directories are FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. My goal is to grep the directory for the word "full" and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdm2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/GREP: grep only lines starting with integer

I have an input file 12.4 1.72849432773174e+01 -7.74784188610632e+01 12.5 9.59432114416327e-01 -7.87018212757537e+01 15.6 5.20139995965960e-01 -5.61612429666624e+01 29.3 3.76696387248366e+00 -7.42896194101892e+01 32.1 1.86899877018077e+01 -7.56508762501408e+01 35 6.98857157014640e+00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies
dat_rsp_create(3DAT)				     Direct Access Transport Library Functions				      dat_rsp_create(3DAT)

NAME
dat_rsp_create - create a Reserved Service Point SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -ldat [ library... ] #include <dat/udat.h> DAT_RETURN dat_rsp_create ( IN DAT_IA_HANDLE ia_handle, IN DAT_CONN_QUAL conn_qual, IN DAT_EP_HANDLE ep_handle, IN DAT_EVD_HANDLE evd_handle, OUT DAT_RSP_HANDLE *rsp_handle ) PARAMETERS
ia_handle Handle for an instance of DAT IA. conn_qual Connection Qualifier of the IA the Reserved Service Point listens to. ep_handle Handle for the Endpoint associated with the Reserved Service Point that is the only Endpoint that can accept a Connection Request on this Service Point. The value DAT_HANDLE_NULL requests the Provider to associate a Provider-created Endpoint with this Service Point. evd_handle The Event Dispatcher to which an event of Connection Request arrival is generated. rsp_handle Handle to an opaque Reserved Service Point. DESCRIPTION
The dat_rsp_create() function creates a Reserved Service Point with the specified Endpoint that generates, at most, one Connection Request that is delivered to the specified Event Dispatcher in a Notification event. RETURN VALUES
DAT_SUCCESS The operation was successful. DAT_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES The operation failed due to resource limitations. DAT_INVALID_HANDLE The ia_handle, evd_handle, or ep_handle parameter is invalid. DAT_INVALID_PARAMETER The conn_qual parameter is invalid. DAT_INVALID_STATE Parameter in an invalid state. For example, an Endpoint was not in the Idle state. DAT_CONN_QUAL_IN_USE Specified Connection Qualifier is in use. USAGE
The usage of a Reserve Service Point is as follows: o The DAT Consumer creates a Local Endpoint and configures it appropriately. o The DAT Consumer creates a Reserved Service Point specifying the Local Endpoint. o The Reserved Service Point performs the following: o Collects native transport information reflecting a received Connection Request. o Creates a Pending Connection Request. o Creates a Connection Request Notice (event) that includes the Pending Connection Request (which includes, among others, Reserved Service Point Connection Qualifier, its Local Endpoint, and information about remote Endpoint). o Delivers the Connection Request Notice to the Consumer-specified target (CNO) evd_handle. The Local Endpoint is transitioned from Reserved to Passive Connection Pending state. o Upon receiving a connection request, or at some time subsequent to that, the DAT Consumer must either accept() or reject() the Pending Connection Request. o If accepted, the original Local Endpoint is now in a Connected state and fully usable for this connection, pending only native trans- port mandated RTU messages. This includes binding it to the IA port if that was not done previously. The Consumer is notified that the Endpoint is in a Connected state by a Connection Established Event on the Endpoint connect_evd_handle. o If rejected, the Local Endpoint point transitions into Unconnected state. The DAT Consumer can elect to destroy it or reuse it for other purposes. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard: uDAPL, 1.1, 1.2 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libdat(3LIB), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 16 Jul 2004 dat_rsp_create(3DAT)