Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Intel Based Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Intel Based Solaris Post 99659 by eykyn17 on Monday 20th of February 2006 12:16:09 PM
Old 02-20-2006
i have successfully cleared the root password

thanks

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ILOM Alert messages to Solaris OS - X4250 (Intel based NO ALOM)

Hi, I have a problem when running some tests. I unplug one power cable from the server. No message is sent to/var/adm/messages On the ILOM GUI, it shows power state deasserted. Anyone knows how to forward this message to the OS, perhaps using the alert management settings? IPMI,snmp?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
1 Replies
vipw(1M)																  vipw(1M)

NAME
vipw - edit the password file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
edits the password file while setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already being edited, you will be told to try again later. The editor is used unless the environment variable indicates an alternate editor. performs a number of consistency checks on the password entry for and does not allow a password file with an incorrectly formatted root entry to be installed. To help reduce the possibility of leaving the system in an unbootable state, root's entry is not considered prop- erly formatted if it has a user ID that is not zero, or if it has a shell other than or Please refer to passwd(4) and the manual for further details of password file format. WARNINGS
An file that is not removed when a system crashes prevents further editing of the file using after the system is rebooted. is the standard lock used by all commands which knowingly modify Successful execution of is not sufficient for proper system operation. To help maintain consistency with other system databases, editing of the password file with is generally discouraged. Please use or to edit AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), sam(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), userdel(1M), passwd(4). vipw(1M)