Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending output to a file - Merged from duplicate thread Post 99649 by Bab00shka on Monday 20th of February 2006 10:56:50 AM
Old 02-20-2006
Try:

a=`cat date_file`

This will assign the file contents to a

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Duplicate postings when following up on a thread

My post count is probably inflated by something like 20% over the last few days, because the site often posts my reply twice when the load is high. Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is there something I should be doing to notify site administrators about the duplicates? I could click on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: era
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending field values in columns to output file

Hi, I am trying to send output from a shell scrip to a txt file in a colum format. I have all I can and I dont seem to understand why the results from one one particular file keeps going to the next line. How can I force all to be in one line Please see code and output below The is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending output of one command to several others?

I know how I can pipe any output to another command thats easy |. What i'm trying to do is send several addresses to the same command over and over again. Essentially what I want to do is do an nslookup on an address and then take the resulting IP(s) and send each of those IP's to another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending awk output to nothing?

How can I direct awk output to go nowhere? I can write the data to a file easy enough or print it on the screen. But for this particular command I don't actually want the data and I don't want to create a file. I just want the data discarded. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a select script through UNIX and sending output to file

Hi, (Oracle, AIX) I have googled this and searched this forum, however I haven't had much luck with an answer and have tried several different things. Basically I have a SQL select statement which generates a whole load of UPDATE statements, I want to run the select statement via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restricting the merged file size to 1 GB

I am working on a problem in which I need to merge 4 files (say f1,f2,f3 & f4 log files) & then prepare a final file. 1) If the final file created has size more than 1 GB then need to throw error (display error). 2) Need to check after every merge (say f1 + f2, f1 + f2 + f3) that whether... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending output to flatfile

Hi, I am writing one unix script to get row count of few tables into one sequential file my script is like this $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s <<EOF >output.txt userid/password@databasename set verify off set heading off set feedback off select count(*) count from tablel where ; select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spmsarada
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for getting the file merged

Hi, I have two files separated by bars at each line File 1 : A|4356|13456|23456 A|4356|2986|98732 A|8765|218|1432567 File 2: B|12|13456|1234567 B|11|13456|123456789 B|33|2986|98732 B|11|2986|14578965 B|8765|218|147584 Common field is third field like 13456, 2986 and 218 in both... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file

Like to have shell script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file with header of path+file name followed by file contents into a single output file. While reading and merging the file contents into a single file, Like to keep the format of the source file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1)                                                    User Commands                                                   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)