Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux filesystem
Operating Systems Linux Linux filesystem Post 99543 by thmnetwork on Saturday 18th of February 2006 04:37:14 PM
Old 02-18-2006
well first off, unix has the design concept fo a "Unified Filesystem", which means that "everything is a file(tm)" this means the /dev/hda1 etc are just points of access to the partitions and while they're supposed to represent the filesystems, they're just files inside the larger system.

what this means is the everything gets put into one filesystem for simplifying the whole deal (rather than the VMS-style A: B: C: D: representation windows uses) this is so you won't have to know what partition a file is on, just where it is in the filesystem, which gives you a lot of freedom on partitioning if you know it won't break anything.

the /dev/hda hdb, etc are access points which means if you try to read them, you get the raw data on that partition, which is usually only useful for either mounting a partition or formatting one, regular users/admins hardly have use for it.

as an example: say hda1 was your root partition, but you wanted the hdb2 partition to be used for your users' home directories. Since all home directories are located under /home, you just mount hdb2 to /home and anything written to a file underneath /home will actually be written to the second partition on the second IDE drive(hdb2), instead of somewhere on first partition on the first drive (which is called hda1)

for more info:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/
http://www.pathname.com/fhs

I hope this was helpful

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Filesystem for Linux - Solaris

Do you know how I can find detailed information on filesystems on Linux and Solaris. And I mean not only for the OS but and how it(the OS) uses the hard drives! Thank you in advance!! Solid Snake;) ;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
3 Replies

2. Tips and Tutorials

Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

Hi, Please have a look this: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy.pdf I think this can be very useful for a beginner/intermediate level user to understand the filesystem hierarchy and as well as it can be used as a reference to various linux commands and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux FileSystem Internal Buffer size:

I know that Univ FileSystem stores all file data in the form of first few direct nodes followed by indirect nodes. But internally some systems implement where , a single block of 4096 isnt allocated alone a single block basis on physical drive, rather a large chunk of data is allocated and no. of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GloriousDaisy
1 Replies

4. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

5. SuSE

filesystem from unix 32 to linux 64

Hi all. Im migrating from a Unix 32 bit to a linux suse 10 64 bit and would like to know whats the best way to migrate the filesystems? cpio? tar? ftp? Could I make a backup in tape in the unix 32 and restore it in the linux 64? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

6. Linux

Tripwire Nightware on Linux (proc filesystem)

Hello, I am having a nightmare with Tripwire on Linux..... I cannot get it to ignore the /proc filesystem, which I want to completely ignore for now Has anyone here successfully configured Tripwire on Linux and completed ignored the /proc filesystem ? If so, please reply and tell me how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Linux

filesystem locking issue on linux

hi, we are getting filesystem locking issue very frequently. we are using linux rhel 5.5. our filesystem type is gfs2 where we are facing locking issue and unix admin team reboots server to over come with this issue. suddenly we used to face slowness on server and server gets hung. after that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

doubt in NFS mounted filesystem in linux

Hi, I have some filesystem which is nfs mounted and shared to other servers. Nfs server name= nfsserver (here filesystem is locally mounted) server name where filesystem is shared = sharedserver1 and sharedserver2 filesystem which is shared = /filesystem1 when i am checking utilization by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Compressed Filesystem for Linux

Hi Everybody: I'm searching a compressed Filesystem for a external disk, what I use for a full, diary and differential Backup. The performance is not important, I search the best option for compress data, but I want have access to structure disk, with directories and files in the Backup disk.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bypper
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mount Linux filesystem not defined in etc/fstab

Hello, is there a way to mount a filesystem which is not defined in the etc/fstab ? Could someone share me any code or command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxman
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting root, /home and /srv partitions, as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a unit generator that automatically discovers root, /home, /srv and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). It implements the Discoverable Partitions Specification[1]. Note that this generator has no effect on non-GPT systems, or where the directories under the mount points are already non-empty. Also, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), the units this generator creates are overridden, but additional implicit dependencies might be created. This generator will only look for root partitions on the same physical disk the EFI System Partition (ESP) is located on. It will only look for the other partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is located on. These partitions will not be searched on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. systemd-gpt-auto-generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for the partitions based on their partition type GUID. The following partition type GUIDs are identified: Table 1. Partition Type GUIDs +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |Partition Type GUID | Name | Explanation | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |44479540-f297-41b2-9af7-d131d5f0458a | Root Partition (x86) | On 32-bit x86 systems, the first x86 | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |4f68bce3-e8cd-4db1-96e7-fbcaf984b709 | Root Partition (x86-64) | On 64-bit x86 systems, the first | | | | x86-64 root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |69dad710-2ce4-4e3c-b16c-21a1d49abed3 | Root Partition (32-bit ARM) | On 32-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |b921b045-1df0-41c3-af44-4c6f280d3fae | Root Partition (64-bit ARM) | On 64-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |993d8d3d-f80e-4225-855a-9daf8ed7ea97 | Root Partition (Itanium/IA-64) | On Itanium systems, the first | | | | Itanium root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b844-0e14e2aef915 | Home Partition | The first home partition on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /home. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |3b8f8425-20e0-4f3b-907f-1a25a76f98e8 | Server Data Partition | The first server data partition on | | | | the disk the root partition is | | | | located on is mounted to /srv. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f | Swap | All swap partitions located on the | | | | disk the root partition is located | | | | on are enabled. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b | EFI System Partition (ESP) | The first ESP located on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /boot or /efi, see below. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ The /home and /srv partitions may be encrypted in LUKS format. In this case, a device mapper device is set up under the names /dev/mapper/home and /dev/mapper/srv. Note that this might create conflicts if the same partition is listed in /etc/crypttab with a different device mapper device name. Mount and automount units for the EFI System Partition (ESP) are generated on EFI systems. The ESP is mounted to /boot, unless a mount point directory /efi exists, in which case it is mounted there. Since this generator creates an automount unit, the mount will only be activated on-demand, when accessed. On systems where /boot (or /efi if it exists) is an explicitly configured mount (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the /boot (or /efi) mount point is non-empty, no mount units are generated. When using this generator in conjunction with btrfs file systems, make sure to set the correct default subvolumes on them, using btrfs subvolume set-default. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-fstab-generator(8), systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8), cryptsetup(8), fstab(5), btrfs(8) NOTES
1. Discoverable Partitions Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)