Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: handling spaces in unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting handling spaces in unix Post 9951 by LivinFree on Tuesday 6th of November 2001 02:08:18 AM
Old 11-06-2001
Also, you can add a "\" before each space, for example:

This\ is\ the\ subject

Also, if your shell allows it, you could set the IFS equal to something else, like the ":" character...

YMMV since I did not test this before posting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File handling in UNIX

Hi All, I want to read a file in UNIX line by line. Can u suggest me any command for this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VARIABLE HANDLING in UNIX

Hi All, :confused: can anyone throw some light on variable handling in UNIX script?? I want to know about the local variables we declare inside the UNIX script. e.g. i=10 OR cat file1 | while read line do echo $line done etc. Does UNIX have any data types Can some one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling blank spaces

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS 1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY 2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling in Unix shell scripting

Hello, I have written a shell script and suppose there is any error in the script. How i can do exception handling in shell script.for example i have below code sqlplus -s <<uid>>/<<pwd>>@<<$ORACLE_SID>> <<EOF > 1_pid1.log set pagesize 0 set feedback off set heading off set linesize 200... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksingh003
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Handling in UNIX

Hi all, I have a requirement here where I am dealing with a dynamic file. Each record in the file can contain anywhere between 1(min) to 42(max) Reject codes. For example I may have one record in the file having 3 reject codes and another record having 5 reject codes. The reject codes will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujainarayan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling white spaces with getopt

Hi I'm trying to ensure that I have catered for all situations with my getopt cases. One other situation I want to cover is should the user enter the script without any preceding arguments eg: ./script_eg I need the script to the direct the user to the helpfile I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling directory with spaces in for loops

Hi everyone, I have been a big fan here since a couple years (since I started being an admin ...) and finally decided to become a member and help ppl and perhaps being helped Now I have a problem that might interest some of the gurus. I am abig fan of what I call "one liners". I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file handling issue

I have a huge file semicolon( ; ) separated records are Pipe(|) delimited. e.g abc;def;ghi|jkl;mno;pqr|123;456;789 I need to replace the 50th field(semicolon separated) of each record with 9006. The 50th field can have no value e.g. ;; Can someone help me with the appropriate command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Processing: Handling spaces in a line

Hi All, Iam trying to get a file processed and some lines have spaces...the below is not working Want to remove empty line Want to remove lines that start with # Avoid line with substring WHOA When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble file is like VAR=VALUE,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling filenames with spaces

I'm trying to handle some files with spaces in their name using "" or \ . Like "file 1" or file\ 1. My current confusion can be expressed by the following shell script: #!/bin/bash touch "file 1" "file 2" echo -n "ls: " ; ls echo --- for file in "file 1" "file 2" ; do echo $file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
9 Replies