Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming about virtual memory and memory leak Post 99439 by shriashishpatil on Friday 17th of February 2006 07:03:31 AM
Old 02-17-2006
about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi,

First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts.

Here is my question.

I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks?

In what cases does the memory leak?. I just have preliminary idea that if you donot free the memory which is not in use, u have memory leak in ur program.

It would be really great if someone can post info about memory leak. Some link would do.

Thanks in advance,

-Ashish

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

3. Programming

Memory LEAK with pthreads

I have this code... #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <pthread.h> static void* cliente(void *datos); int main() { pthread_attr_t tattr; int ret; size_t size = PTHREAD_STACK_MIN + 0x0100; ret = pthread_attr_init(&tattr); ret =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JEscola
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory leak in pthread

helo frnds, I am using RHEL5 and C lang for development. I am getting some memory leak problem in pthread. I hav developed a program which creates two threads for listening purpose on two diff ports. both the child threads are doing same job but on diff port no. I am using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindTeaser
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

memory leak?

Hi All, my client server application can work in two modes: 1) one direction - only client sends msgs to server 2) two directions - server gives 'answers' to client. when program run in the first mode it looks OK, but when server answers to client than client's application exit its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenna
2 Replies

6. Programming

Memory Leak

Hi, I am trying a database server which keeps a B+ plus tree structure and works on it. I am trying to find the memory used/leak while executing this process. I check the memory leak by using ps uax command. When i execute a delete query i am sure that my code frees up the existing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
9 Replies

7. Red Hat

Memory leak

Hi all I am using RED HAT 5.4, and i am getting memory uses problem. when i use "sync;echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_cache" command the memory will release after 2,3 hour memory show 95%. pls suggest right way. thanks (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
37 Replies

8. Programming

Help regarding memory leak in this C program

I have written this code in C which reads a very large collection of text files and does some processing. The problem with this code is that there are memory leaks which I am not able to figure out as to where the problem is. When I run this code, and see the memory usage using top command, then I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

9. Web Development

Finding Cause of Memory Leak

Hi We have just got a dedicated server with Fasthosts, O/S is Linux CentOS 6 64 bit. It was a fresh install and I have just moved one WordPress site onto there. The problem is we seem to be getting a memory leak (that's what Fasthosts said) and the database (I think) keeps crashing, so we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pokeyzx
3 Replies
SHM_OVERVIEW(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SHM_OVERVIEW(7)

NAME
shm_overview - overview of POSIX shared memory DESCRIPTION
The POSIX shared memory API allows processes to communicate information by sharing a region of memory. The interfaces employed in the API are: shm_open(3) Create and open a new object, or open an existing object. This is analogous to open(2). The call returns a file descriptor for use by the other interfaces listed below. ftruncate(2) Set the size of the shared memory object. (A newly created shared memory object has a length of zero.) mmap(2) Map the shared memory object into the virtual address space of the calling process. munmap(2) Unmap the shared memory object from the virtual address space of the calling process. shm_unlink(3) Remove a shared memory object name. close(2) Close the file descriptor allocated by shm_open(3) when it is no longer needed. fstat(2) Obtain a stat structure that describes the shared memory object. Among the information returned by this call are the object's size (st_size), permissions (st_mode), owner (st_uid), and group (st_gid). fchown(2) To change the ownership of a shared memory object. fchmod(2) To change the permissions of a shared memory object. Versions POSIX shared memory is supported since Linux 2.4 and glibc 2.2. Persistence POSIX shared memory objects have kernel persistence: a shared memory object will exist until the system is shut down, or until all pro- cesses have unmapped the object and it has been deleted with shm_unlink(3) Linking Programs using the POSIX shared memory API must be compiled with cc -lrt to link against the real-time library, librt. Accessing shared memory objects via the filesystem On Linux, shared memory objects are created in a (tmpfs(5)) virtual filesystem, normally mounted under /dev/shm. Since kernel 2.6.19, Linux supports the use of access control lists (ACLs) to control the permissions of objects in the virtual filesystem. NOTES
Typically, processes must synchronize their access to a shared memory object, using, for example, POSIX semaphores. System V shared memory (shmget(2), shmop(2), etc.) is an older shared memory API. POSIX shared memory provides a simpler, and better designed interface; on the other hand POSIX shared memory is somewhat less widely available (especially on older systems) than System V shared memory. SEE ALSO
fchmod(2), fchown(2), fstat(2), ftruncate(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), shm_open(3), shm_unlink(3), sem_over- view(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-12-12 SHM_OVERVIEW(7)