Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: separating fields
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting separating fields Post 99425 by new2ss on Friday 17th of February 2006 04:46:22 AM
Old 02-17-2006
Hi futurelet,

i tried to do it using the if way, and i could only managed to do it using 3 lines. The execution time is definitely longer than your suggestion, since i have to open the file 3 times. Is there any way i can modify it into 1 line? I appreciate your 'for' loop, its elegant and achieves the purpose. But i am raw to UNIX script, hoping to learn more ways to do it.

Code:
awk 'BEGIN(FS="[:,]"} { if (NF == 3) print $1":"$2)' $F
awk 'BEGIN(FS="[:,]"} { if (NF == 3) print $1":"$3)' $F
awk 'BEGIN(FS="[:,]"} { if (NF == 2) print $1":"$2)' $F

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest?

i am looking at something like
awk 'BEGIN(FS="[:,]"} { if (NF == 3) print $1":"$2 \n print $1":"$3 \n else print $1":"$2 print)' $F
but i got a bunch of syntax errors.

awk: cmd. line:1: BEGIN{FS="[:,]"}{if (NF == 2)print $1":"$2\n}
awk: cmd. line:1: ^ backslash not last chine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

separating commands

hey there well i have a small problem with my code. when for example : " /bin/sleep 10 & ls -l mila > xyz " is entered, the program is supposed to separate the two commands 1) /bin/sleep 10 & and 2) ls -l mila > xyz. im not sure of how to achieve this. my current program stores both commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mile1982
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with separating syslog messages.

Hello Guys... I am bit new to shell scripting and was looking for help !! I have got syslog data on a linux server recording log messages from a device. I need to seperate the data from log to file so that I can push it excell and get a report from that. Log is in the format below "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_26apr
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating fields

Hi, I have a text file in following format: 2.45 5.67 6.43 I have to cut the values before decimal and store them in a file. So the output file should look like: 2 5 6 . . and so on... Can someone suggest me a sed/awk command for doing this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

separating folders

I have folder like main. inside main folder there are subfolders & files like main1 main2 main3, file1, file2, file3. I want folders main1 & main2, file1, file2 from main folder. copy them into new folder. Please suggest me how to do it. I am new to shell programming (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ypremcha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help separating a file

Hi all, I have a single text file, Contig3.fasta, that looks like this: >NAME1 ACCTGGTA >NAME2 GGTTGGACA >NAME3 ATTTTGGGCCAnd It has about 100 items like this in it. What I would like to do is copy each item into 100 different text files, and have them named a certain way Output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
4 Replies

6. Programming

Separating two classes in two files

I have a file Map.hh shown below. I want to put the two classes Phase and Map in two different files Phase.hh and Map.hh. I have forward declaration before the Map class. How can I tackle this situation? ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #ifndef... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding and then separating the output

Hi I have this output /vol/vol0 4GB /vol/nonprod00 682GB /vol/prod00 3GB /vol/nasp_archive 201GB /vol/nasp_iface 92GB /vol/nasp_bsi 0GB /vol/nasp_vertex 0GB /vol/nasp_sapmnt_mp2 1GB /vol/nasp_sapmnt_prd 52GB /vol/nasp_sapmnt_srp 1GB /vol/nasp_smd 1GB /vol/nasp_ccms 0GB... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with separating datatype, column name

Hi All, I am new to unix but have a requirement wherein I need to separate datatype,length, and column name from input file which is of below format -- record integer(10) empid; string(25) name; date("YYYY-MM-DD") dob; decimal(10) salary; end now after getting datatype,its length and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix09
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in separating a multilingual file

Hello, I have a text file running into around 100 thousand+ lines which has the following rigid structure: Each field is separated by a comma. Some examples are given below: 23,Chinttaman Pagare,चिंतमण पगारे 24, Chinttaman Pateel,चिंतामण पाटल 25, Chinttaman Rout,चिंतामण राऊत 26,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating words in a line

Hi I have the following file # cat red it.d-state = 50988 41498 45 0 0 0 it.age_buffer= 1500 it.dir = 1 I need to grep lines that are present after "=" But when I do so, few lines has more than one value and some has one How to parse the line I have used the follwing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
6 Replies
DROP 
ROLE(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation DROP ROLE(7) NAME
DROP_ROLE - remove a database role SYNOPSIS
DROP ROLE [ IF EXISTS ] name [, ...] DESCRIPTION
DROP ROLE removes the specified role(s). To drop a superuser role, you must be a superuser yourself; to drop non-superuser roles, you must have CREATEROLE privilege. A role cannot be removed if it is still referenced in any database of the cluster; an error will be raised if so. Before dropping the role, you must drop all the objects it owns (or reassign their ownership) and revoke any privileges the role has been granted. The REASSIGN OWNED (REASSIGN_OWNED(7)) and DROP OWNED (DROP_OWNED(7)) commands can be useful for this purpose. However, it is not necessary to remove role memberships involving the role; DROP ROLE automatically revokes any memberships of the target role in other roles, and of other roles in the target role. The other roles are not dropped nor otherwise affected. PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the role does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. name The name of the role to remove. NOTES
PostgreSQL includes a program dropuser(1) that has the same functionality as this command (in fact, it calls this command) but can be run from the command shell. EXAMPLES
To drop a role: DROP ROLE jonathan; COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard defines DROP ROLE, but it allows only one role to be dropped at a time, and it specifies different privilege requirements than PostgreSQL uses. SEE ALSO
CREATE ROLE (CREATE_ROLE(7)), ALTER ROLE (ALTER_ROLE(7)), SET ROLE (SET_ROLE(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DROP ROLE(7)