Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Segmentation Faults
Top Forums Programming Segmentation Faults Post 99421 by tej.buch on Friday 17th of February 2006 03:39:51 AM
Old 02-17-2006
Segmentation Faults

Hello...I am developing a code that wil deal with the string manipulation functions on char arrays which have been declared as char *.

Now whenever I try to use these variables in functions like strcat().strcpy() ...etc,it gives me a segmentation fault error...

I got a way to work around this problem by using malloc() to allocate some memory beforehand.....it works even if a use a statement like

" x=(char*)malloc(0) "

Sometimes i get the correct output even without using malloc...what could be the reason for this erratic occurances of "segmentation fault" in my code...?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Copy on Write page faults

Hello Please can you tell me how to access COPY ON WRITE page faults in HP -UNIX. I found the structure in /usr/include/sys/vmmeter with the structure name vmmeter. Please tell me the function to fill the values to this structure and also the arguments for function.:: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Intransient blocking page faults

Hi, Will anybody tell me what is this 'intransient blocking page faults' in HP-UX, it is in the structure _pst_vminfo in the header file /ust/include/sys/pstat/vm_pstat_body.h? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushaga
4 Replies

3. AIX

High Page Faults

Sorry my poor english In 570 pseries nmon shows excessive page faults, ascents of something more than 30000 Page faults. System: AIX 5.2 ML5 Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5 Number Of Processors: 2 Processor Clock Speed: 1656 MHz CPU Type: 64-bit Kernel Type: 64-bit Memory Size: 2816 MB ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daviguez
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

5. AIX

Lots of page faults on AIX mySQL lpar

Hi, OS = AIX 5.3 Large number of page faults recently start to occure on AIX 5.3 lpar with mysql database installed. I need help in setting AIX OS parameter to solve the paging problem and some guidance on interpreting my stats t Code: # vmstat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crosys
5 Replies

6. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 7.1 high page faults

hi guys i hope you can help me with this situation. i have 2 lpar with aix 7.1 and oracle 11gr2 in grid mode. when i start nmon to check the current system health i notice that page fault are over 3000/s. than i have opened a case with ibm and they say that the problem is not paging nor... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gullio23
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Page faults on OS

Hi guys, I have a zone on a M5000 server running solaris 10. The zone has an SAP application running on it and facing some performance issues. As part of the troubleshooting, I've been recommended to look for any paging on the OS. Please advise how to look for the paging. I've been looking at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
4 Replies

9. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
XMALLOC(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						     XMALLOC(3pub)

NAME
xmalloc, xrealloc, xfree, xstrdup, xmemdup, memdup - memory allocation functions for Publib SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> void *xmalloc(size_t bytes); void *xrealloc(void *ptr, size_t bytes); void xfree(void *ptr); char *xstrdup(const char *string); void *memdup(const void *mem, size_t bytes); void *xmemdup(const void *mem, size_t bytes); DESCRIPTION
These functions are utility functions for memory allocation from the publib library. xmalloc, xrealloc, and xfree are error checking ver- sions of the standard library routines malloc, realloc, and free, respectively. They are guaranteed to never return unless there was no problem: if, for example, xmalloc is unable to allocate the requested amount of memory, it prints an error message and terminates the pro- gram. Hence, the caller does not need to check for a NULL return value, and the code that calls these functions is simpler due to the lack of error checks. Similarly, xstrdup is an error checking version of the common (though not standard) strdup routine, which creates a duplicate of a string by allocating memory for the copy with malloc. (For systems that lack strdup, publib provides one in its portability module; it is always declared in <publib.h>.) memdup is similar to strdup, it creates a copy of an arbitrary memory area (the arguments are a pointer to the beginning of the area, and its size) by allocating memory for the copy with malloc. xmemdup is its error checking version. NOTE
xmalloc and xrealloc treat a request to allocate a block of 0 bytes as an error. xrealloc will allow its first argument to be NULL. SEE ALSO
publib(3), malloc(3), strdup(3) AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual XMALLOC(3pub)