Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Overlapping(executing time) jobs in crontab Post 99413 by Perderabo on Friday 17th of February 2006 01:29:34 AM
Old 02-17-2006
This is true for two cron jobs, but probably not two hundred. Most versions of cron have an overall limit and when that limit is reached, cron will not run more jobs. Jobs are then deferred and entered into a fifo list. Once a minute cron will retry to see if it can run the jobs. See man queuedefs.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab did not fire jobs

Hello, I have something weird that I need some solution and hope that you can help out there :). I have crontab entry and it is running everyday. Sometimes, the crontab will just hang/stale where my jobs will not be executed(of course, the user complaint, then only I know). I will need to do:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hwh1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab jobs to append to the same log

Hi, all: I have a shell script runs in the crontab, which writes the output to a log file, as following: 0 18 * * * /oracle/deleteBackup.sh >/oracle/deleteBackup.log Everytime the script is run by crontab , the deleteBackup.log is overwritten, is there anyway that I can append to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericaworld
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re : Set multiple cron jobs in one crontab file

Hello All, Hopw all is fine. I am newbie to Unix. I am using Bourne Shell (sh). One of the question I have is that I am trying to read XML file and based on reading that XML file I want to run different java programs at different hours. Meaning 05 14 * * * java ./program1 10 14 * * * java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samshaw
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start jobs manually from Crontab

Hello - I have about 7 jobs listed in my crontab. They run automatically everyday. However I am wondering how to start them manually? My system is SunOS 5.10 Jobs are listed in this fashion: 41 00 * * 1-5 /system/volms/.vbc/startmeup 01 44 * * 0-6 /system/volms/.vbc/kill (space)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Jobs Not Executing

Hi Guys, Good day! I don't know what's the problem with this, I have two (2) entries in Crontab, these 2 entries are scripts which I've created. I need these 2 for automatic backup and maintaining only 3 files under a given directory. Here are my entries below, and they are NOT executing: 00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify the overlapping and non overlapping regions

file1 chr pos1 pos2 pos3 pos4 1)chr1 1000 2000 3000 4000 2)chr1 1380 1480 6800 7800 3)chr1 6700 7700 1200 2200 4)chr2 8500 9500 5670 6670 file2 chr pos1 pos2 pos3 pos4 1)chr2 8500 9500 5000 6000 2)chr1 6700 7700 1200 2200 3)chr1 1380 1480 6700 7700 4)chr1 1000 2000 4900 5900 I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: data_miner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab jobs log

hi gurus, I have scheduled some script by using crontab. I would like to save all the logs in some particular directory whenever the jobs are running. please let me know how i need to code it to save the logs files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab jobs excuting

Hi i want to run the cronjob from 7 Am till 11.30Am for every 5 minutes from monday to friday. can anyone help? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheesh_charle
15 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)