Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Listing the creation date/time of a file in unix Post 99156 by rahulrathod on Wednesday 15th of February 2006 06:10:37 AM
Old 02-15-2006
Code:
-ctime n
True if the file's status was changed n days ago.

Sorry,

I thought ctime was creation date. Just went by the name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation time

i have to delete some files that were created on a particular date. is there any way to do that without affecting the files that were modified on the same date? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sskb
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation date & time

Hi All, I have some files which are creates every day using a script. I want to create a log files which does write "filename,creation day and time" how can I do this ?? Alice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File creation time

IS there any command to find the file creation time in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About Unix File creation time

Hello, I registered and recreated this thread because everywhere we can see "It's not possible to get the file creation time in UNIX fs". This is not true any more with Ext4! Unfortunately, there is not user-level tools that allow you to read those information. You have to use a low level tool... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaellafond
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing file date and time without usage of pipe

Hi , I am using below code to list the 6th,7th and 8th field of the file ls -lrt test | awk '{print $6,$7,$8}' output: Nov 21 19:34 Now the problem here is that I want to do it without the usage of pipes as its now allowed in my production environment Please let me know... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish612
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File creation time in UNIX

Hi All, Can any one help how to long list today's files in unix.i.e files which are have been created today should be able to "ls -ltr" .I should be able to apply the "ls -ltr" command on today's files(should not include all the files which were there in the directory). Thanks in advance!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp file creation date and time

Hi Team, How to get the file creation date and time in SFTP server we can able to type ls -ltr command only SFTP server. Generally we type ls --full-time test.txt we will get the date and time , same way how to do in SFTP server after connected. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmk123
1 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. -A file True if the file exists and is append-only. -L file True if the file exists and is exclusive-use. -Tfile True if the file exists and is temporary. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. a -nt b True if file a is newer than (modified after) file b. a -ot b True if file a is older than (modified before) file b. f -older t True if file f is older than (modified before) time t. If t is a integer followed by the letters y(years), M(months), d(days), h(hours), m(minutes), or s(seconds), it represents current time minus the specified time. If there is no letter, it represents seconds since epoch. You can also concatenate mixed units. For example, 3d12h means three days and twelve hours ago. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)