Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Single character wildcard for SED Post 99125 by stevefox on Wednesday 15th of February 2006 01:27:02 AM
Old 02-15-2006
Question Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED?

I have the file below:

Code:
$ more input2
AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F
CCC /G/H/I DDD

I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below:

AAA BBB
CCC

I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I couldn't find out the single character wildcard and failed.

$ sed "s/\/.*\/?//g" input3

If there's an awk solution to the above please tell me as well.

Any help will be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help/wildcard substitution

I need to perform the following substitutions and have been struggling to determine if or how I can do this with sed or perl. I need to change the string foo(bar) to moo(bar,0) wherever this occurs in a file. Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a wildcard of some sort that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@NZ
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix wildcard character question

1. Is . wildcard? , the documented wildcard are "*", "?", and "" . seems mean everything, the follwing cmd will copy everything cp -r /tmp/test1/. /tmp/test2/ However it doesn't work for rm, why? $ ls -a . .. .a .aa aa t2 $ rm -rf . $ ls -a . .. .a .aa ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to search and list file with wildcard character

hi, I want to search all files in the current working direcotry and to print in comma (,) seperated output. But I have two patterns to search for. Files will be in ABC20100508.DAT format. Search should happen on the format (ABC????????.DAT) along with date(20100508). I can do a ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to squeeze multiple pipe character '|' into single '|' using sed?

Hi, I am trying to convert multiple Unix pipe symbol or bar into single |. I have tried with the following sed statements, but, no success :(. I need it using sed only echo "sed 's/\|\+/\|/g' sed 's/*/\|/' sed 's/\|*/|/' sed -r 's/\|+/\|/' However, the below awk code is working fine.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Wildcard

Hello, I apologize for asking what is probably a simple question but I have been unable to understand the other posts on the topic. I have a file that has the following several lines: ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112012_ABCL5 ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112013_ABCL4 ABC DEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MolecularToast
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed using wildcard

Hi Folks, I had a requirement to replace a pattern a.*a with 'a' alone. I'm writing a sed command to do that. But I'm not able to work this out. Pls help me. echo 'a123a456a789' | sed 's/a.*a/a/' Expected o/p : a456a789 But actual o/p is a789. :confused: how can write that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WildCard character - not able to understand

Hello, I have one script which looks as given below , . ${0%/*}/init && init_job || exit 1 what I understood is , 1. above syntax has three commands, two on left of || and one on right of ||. 2. ${0%/*} would generate some path. Question. A. What is the meaning of ${0%/*} ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
XcmsCCCOfColormap(3)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS					      XcmsCCCOfColormap(3)

NAME
XcmsCCCOfColormap, XcmsSetCCCOfColormap - query and modify CCC of a colormap SYNTAX
XcmsCCC XcmsCCCOfColormap(Display *display, Colormap colormap); XcmsCCC XcmsSetCCCOfColormap(Display *display, Colormap colormap, XcmsCCC ccc); ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. ccc Specifies the CCC. colormap Specifies the colormap. DESCRIPTION
The XcmsCCCOfColormap function returns the CCC associated with the specified colormap. Once obtained, the CCC attributes can be queried or modified. Unless the CCC associated with the specified colormap is changed with XcmsSetCCCOfColormap, this CCC is used when the specified colormap is used as an argument to color functions. The XcmsSetCCCOfColormap function changes the CCC associated with the specified colormap. It returns the CCC previously associated with the colormap. If they are not used again in the application, CCCs should be freed by calling XcmsFreeCCC. Several colormaps may share the same CCC without restriction; this includes the CCCs generated by Xlib with each colormap. Xlib, however, creates a new CCC with each new colormap. SEE ALSO
DisplayOfCCC(3), XcmsConvertColors(3), XcmsCreateCCC(3), XcmsDefaultCCC(3), XcmsSetWhitePoint(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.6.0 XcmsCCCOfColormap(3)