Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Listing the creation date/time of a file in unix Post 99121 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 15th of February 2006 12:29:45 AM
Old 02-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrathod
Agree with you.

But creation time should be stored somewhere i beleive as the find command can get the files created on/before/after a particular date. Curious to know where this info might be available.

Rahul.
could you please let me know what is the option available in find to retrieve a file created before n days?

from the man pages of find with respect to time modification

Code:
-atime n
         True if the file was accessed n days ago.

Code:
-ctime n
        True if the file's status was changed n days ago.

Code:
 -mtime n
        True if the file's data was modified n days ago.

no where file creation date/time would be stored

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation time

i have to delete some files that were created on a particular date. is there any way to do that without affecting the files that were modified on the same date? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sskb
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation date & time

Hi All, I have some files which are creates every day using a script. I want to create a log files which does write "filename,creation day and time" how can I do this ?? Alice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File creation time

IS there any command to find the file creation time in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About Unix File creation time

Hello, I registered and recreated this thread because everywhere we can see "It's not possible to get the file creation time in UNIX fs". This is not true any more with Ext4! Unfortunately, there is not user-level tools that allow you to read those information. You have to use a low level tool... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaellafond
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing file date and time without usage of pipe

Hi , I am using below code to list the 6th,7th and 8th field of the file ls -lrt test | awk '{print $6,$7,$8}' output: Nov 21 19:34 Now the problem here is that I want to do it without the usage of pipes as its now allowed in my production environment Please let me know... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish612
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File creation time in UNIX

Hi All, Can any one help how to long list today's files in unix.i.e files which are have been created today should be able to "ls -ltr" .I should be able to apply the "ls -ltr" command on today's files(should not include all the files which were there in the directory). Thanks in advance!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp file creation date and time

Hi Team, How to get the file creation date and time in SFTP server we can able to type ls -ltr command only SFTP server. Generally we type ls --full-time test.txt we will get the date and time , same way how to do in SFTP server after connected. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmk123
1 Replies
ff_vxfs(1M)															       ff_vxfs(1M)

NAME
ff_vxfs: ff - fast find: list file names and statistics for a VxFS file system SYNOPSIS
num] num] inode-list] num] file] prefix] special... DESCRIPTION
reads the inode list and directories of each special file, assuming it to be a VxFS file system, and prints inode data for files that match the selection criteria. Output consists of the pathname for each saved inode, plus any other file information requested using the print options below. Output fields are positional. The output is produced in inode order; fields are separated by tabs. The default line pro- duced by is: pathname inumber The pathname is preceded by a dot unless you specify the generic option. The maximum information displays is: pathname inumber size owner The num parameter in the options descriptions is a decimal number, where means more than num days, means less than num days, and num means exactly num days. A day is defined as a 24-hour period. prints summary information to standard error output in addition to the report sent to standard output. Options recognizes the following options: Select a file if the inode has been accessed in num days. Select a file if the inode has been changed in num days. Specify the VxFS file system type. Generate names for any inodes specified in the inode-list. Do not display the inode number after each pathname. Generate a list of all pathnames for files with more than one link. Select a file associated with the inode if it has been modified in num days. Select a file associated with an inode if it has been modified more recently than the specified file. Add the specified prefix to each pathname. The default prefix is dot Print only special files and files with set-user-ID mode (VxFS-specific option). Write the file size, in bytes, after each pathname. Write the owner's login name after each pathname. Echo the completed command line, but performs no other action. The command line is generated by incorporating the user specified options and other information derived from This option allows the user to verify the command line. Operands recognizes the following operand: special Name of a VxFS file system. EXAMPLES
List the pathnames and inumbers of all files in the file system Same as above, but suppress the printing of inumbers: List files on the same file system that have been modified in the last two days displaying the pathname, inumber, and owner's user name List all files on the same file system, including the pathname and inumber of each file, that were last accessed more than 30 days ago Find all pathnames associated with inodes and Execute the command on a VxFS file system FILES
Static information about the file systems. SEE ALSO
find(1), ff(1M), ncheck_vxfs(1M), fstab(4). ff_vxfs(1M)