Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem Connecting from Windows base OS to linux Post 988 by Neo on Wednesday 31st of January 2001 11:45:00 AM
Old 01-31-2001
Also, if you are running daemons which use <B>identd</B> services to "authenticate" incoming connections and the identd services are not set up correctly, the initial login will be very slow and hang for some time. (this is almost the same as the DNS lookup problem).

I recommend putting a sniffer like <B>tcpdump</B> on the segment and watching what happens. This will isolate the problem quickly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Connecting SGI to Windows PC

I am trying to network an SGI running Irix 6.5 through an ethernet line to a PC running Windows 2000 (I have connected other PC's to this PC without any problems.) The PC has a DSL connection from Verizon that does not support Unix. I tried using DHCP on the SGI, but when I open a web browser on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to windows from unix

how to connect to windows from unix??? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemant30
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configure SCO Unix to print on windows base XP printer

Hi, I have done this year ago, and now I need to do it again, but did not remember how I do it. I have a slip printer on a windows xp workstation and i need to print from SCO unix application to that printer. I try to create a remote printer but the only option available is unix, the other to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: comsiconsa
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Connecting UNIX to Windows

Is there a way to connect to Windows from UNIX. From Windows to UNIX, there is a putty that can be used. Is putty also possible to use to connect? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punyenye
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows driver needed for 1000 base tx card (HP)

First of all, excuse my ignorance in my questions, but truth is, I know nothing about Unix. I have recently purchased some A7012A's (dual port, 1000 base T/X) gigabit cards and need to use them in a windows environment. I am trying to see if it is possible to have drivers written for the card... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: poaking
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help connecting to linux server from shh client in windows!

I just installed the latest version of unbuntu server and want to connect from windows using a ssh client. This is my first linux server, so bare with me =) For my server... cat /etc/hostsgives me 127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.1.1 ubuntuHomeI tried using ssh secure shell and putty in vista.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
11 Replies

7. Linux

Problem in dual booting installation of linux on windows

Dear friends, I am experiencing the trouble while installing the Red Hat Linux 4 on top of windows XP, after booting its asking "What type of media contains the packages to be installed". Steps I followed: Step 1: left the free space as unpartitioned, (I also tried with the FAT32... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows Server

Hi, One of the folders in UNIX is mapped with a drive on Windows.From this UNIX machine I want to connect to the Windows Server, perform some checks and view the results back on the UNIX machine. For e.g. if I touch a file under the shared folder on UNIX, I should be able to telnet to Windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help connecting linux box to Windows - winbindd problem

Hi experts - I hope you can help me. I am trying to resolve Windows host names (aka Netbios names, aka "UNC names) from a Linux box. I have added "dns wins" to the "hosts" line at /etc/nsswitch.conf, and installed samba 3.2.2 and ran "winbindd -D". Now, when I go: "wbinfo -N venus" (where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryg
1 Replies

10. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Connecting windows to Vmware

Hi , I have installed Centos 6.5 in my VMWare on windows 7 , My Internet is running fine on both VMWare OS and windows 7 . When I am trying to connect from putty on my window to Vimware Linux but it does not connect. Please help what should I do to connect the window system to Linux System (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
6 Replies
INCOMING.CONF(5)					    InterNetNews Documentation						  INCOMING.CONF(5)

NAME
incoming.conf - Configuration of incoming news feeds DESCRIPTION
The file pathetc/incoming.conf consists of three types of entries: key/value, peer and group. Comments are from the hash character "#" to the end of the line. Blank lines are ignored. All key/value entries within each type must not be duplicated. Key/value entries are a keyword immediately followed by a colon, at least one blank and a value. For example: max-connections: 10 A legal key does not contains blanks, colons, nor "#". There are three different types of values: integers, booleans, and strings. Integers are as to be expected. A boolean value is either "true" or "false" (case is significant). A string value is any other sequence of characters. If the string needs to contain whitespace, then it must be quoted with double quotes. Peer entries look like: peer <name> { # body } The word "peer" is required. <name> is a label for this peer. It is any string valid as a key. The body of a peer entry contains some number of key/value entries. Group entries look like: group <name> { # body } The word "group" is required. <name> is any string valid as a key. The body of a group entry contains any number of the three types of entries. So key/value pairs can be defined inside a group, and peers can be nested inside a group, and other groups can be nested inside a group. Key/value entries that are defined outside of all peer and group entries are said to be at global scope. Global key/value entries act as defaults for peers. When innd looks for a specific value in a peer entry (for example, the maximum number of connections to allow), if the value is not defined in the peer entry, then the enclosing groups are examined for the entry (starting at the closest enclosing group). If there are no enclosing groups, or the enclosing groups don't define the key/value, then the value at global scope is used. A small example could be: # Global value applied to all peers that have no value of their own. max-connections: 5 # A peer definition. peer uunet { hostname: usenet1.uu.net } peer vixie { hostname: gw.home.vix.com max-connections: 10 # Override global value. } # A group of two peers which can open more connections than normal. group fast-sites { max-connections: 15 # Another peer. The max-connections: value from the # fast-sites group scope is used. peer data.ramona.vix.com { hostname: data.ramona.vix.com } peer bb.home.vix.com { hostname: bb.home.vix.com max-connections: 20 # He can really cook. } } Given the above configuration file, the defined peers would have the following values for the max-connections key. uunet 5 vixie 10 data.ramona.vix.com 15 bb.home.vix.com 20 PARAMETERS
The following keys are allowed: comment This key requires a string value. Reserved for future use. The default is an empty string. email This key requires a string value. Reserved for future use. The default is an empty string. hold-time This key requires a positive integer value. It defines the hold time before closing, if the connection is over max-connections. A value of zero specifies immediate close. The default is 0. hostname This key requires a string value. It is a list of hostnames separated by a comma. A hostname is the host's fully qualified domain name, or the dotted-quad IP address of the peer for IPv4, or the colon-separated IP address of the peer for IPv6. If this key is not present in a peer block, the hostname defaults to the label of the peer. identd This key requires a string value. It is used if you wish to require a peer's user name retrieved through identd match the specified string. Note that currently innd does not implement any timeout in identd callbacks, so enabling this option may cause innd to hang if the remote peer does not respond to ident callbacks in a reasonable timeframe. The default is an empty string, that is to say no identd. ignore This key requires a boolean value. Setting this entry causes innd to refuse every article sent via CHECK or IHAVE by this peer. The default is false. max-connections This key requires a positive integer value. It defines the maximum number of connections allowed. A value of zero specifies an unlimited number of maximum connections ("unlimited" or "none" can be used as synonyms). The default is 0. nolist This key requires a boolean value. It defines whether a peer is allowed to issue list command. The default is false, that is to say it can. noresendid This key requires a boolean value. It defines whether innd should send 431 (response to CHECK, in streaming mode) or 436 (response to IHAVE in non-streaming mode) responses instead of 438 (response to CHECK) or 435 (response to IHAVE) if a message is offered that is already received from another peer. This can be useful for peers that resend messages right away, as innfeed does. The default is false: the peer receives 431 and 436 codes so that it resends the article later. password This key requires a string value. It is used if you wish to require a peer to supply a password via AUTHINFO USER/PASS. The default is an empty string, that it to say no password. patterns This key requires a string value. It is a list of newsfeeds(5)-style list of newsgroups which are to be accepted from this host. The default is the string "*", that is to say all groups are accepted. skip This key requires a boolean value. Setting this entry causes this peer to be skipped. The default is false. streaming This key requires a boolean value. It defines whether streaming commands (CHECK and TAKETHIS) are allowed from this peer. The default is true. HISTORY
Written by Fabien Tassin <fta@sofaraway.org> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. $Id: incoming.conf.pod 8436 2009-05-01 09:00:21Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), innd(8), newsfeeds(5), uwildmat(3). INN 2.5.3 2009-05-21 INCOMING.CONF(5)