Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compare directories then move similar ones Post 98782 by tgibson2 on Saturday 11th of February 2006 01:18:09 AM
Old 02-11-2006
Compare directories then move similar ones

I would like to know how to compare a listing of directories that begin with the same four numbers ie.

/1234cat
/1234tree
/1234fish

and move all these directories into one directory

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the similar files

I got many pair files, which only have small difference, such as more space, or more empty line, and some unreadable characters. If list by commend "diff", I can see many many difference. So I'd like to write a script to compare the pair files, if 95% contents are same, I will think they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Script to Move Directories

Hi I am after a simple script to move folders/files from one directory into another directory on the same server. I want to run a cron so this can run at midnight. Issue is there will not always be data in the source folder. This script works fine but it errors if nothing exists in the source... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files with similar names to folder

I have in directory /media/AUDIO/WAVE many .mp3 files with names like: my filename_01of02.mp3 my filename_02of02.mp3 Your File_01of06.mp3 Your File_02of06.mp3 etc.... In the same directory, /media/AUDIO/WAVE, I have many folders with names like 9780743579490 9780743579491 etc.. Inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

move directories up one level

hi , could you help me with shell scripting in a shell script i have these commands a=`ls -R $dir | grep ./ ` cp -R ./$a/* ./$output/ with the first command i have all the directories with the second command i want to copy them in a new directory something like this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faethon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tar to move directories

I have figured out how to create a tar file that holds all the files in a particular directory. The plan is to move the tar to a new system via FTP so that we can test the new system with our files and libraries. What I can't figure out is how to unzip the tar file; I keep getting messages that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello, I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure. for example: /XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move directories in script.sh doesn't work

Dear All, I would like move some directories in another location. Basically, my ls -lis drwxr-xr-x 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4096 Feb 24 02:18 data.N701_N502.ABCDE -rw-r--r-- 1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 185865797 Feb 23 11:27 data.N701_N502.ABCDE_file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to compare two files in UNIX using similar to vlookup?

Hi, I want to compare same column in two files, if values match then display the column or display "NA". Ex : File 1 : 123 abc xyz pqr File 2: 122 aab fdf pqr fff qqq rrr (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hkoshekay
1 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)