Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file pointer
Top Forums Programming file pointer Post 98357 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 7th of February 2006 03:10:30 PM
Old 02-07-2006
Code:
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void openfile_and_sleep(char *filename, unsigned int sleeptime)
{
    FILE *input=fopen(filename,"r");
    if(input==NULL)
    {
          perror("Error opening file");
          exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    }
    sleep(sleeptime);
    fclose(input);
}

You will have to fork() and then call this function from the child process - if you want the main process to do something else.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. Programming

file pointer

what is the difference between a file pointer and a file descriptor. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bankpro
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confusion (file pointer and file descripter)

Hi everybody, i am newbie to unix and confused with file pointers and file descripters. could anyone help me to clear my doubts .. when we call unix system calls to create a file then we are dealing wih file descripters i think file descripters are also normals file as stored inhard disks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

4. Programming

why we never delete a pointer twice

can u tell me the reson that why we should not delete a pointer twice.? if we delete ponter twice then what happen and why this happen Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

5. Programming

far pointer

what is far pointer in C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl how to move pointer to previous line in a txt file?

I have a text file that has blocks of text. Each block starts with ### and ends with End_###. I wrote a perl script to search a string from line 2 (ignore any line starts with ###) of each block if matched, need to print that whole block. According to the input file in below, it will print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tqlam
5 Replies

7. Programming

how to move file pointer to a particular line in c

Hello experts, I ve a text file I want to go to particular line . what is the best way to do this in c ? I am tried as follows fseek ( fh, pos, SEEK_SET); but this functions moves the file pointer according to a number of bytes. Unfortunately I don't know the exact byte... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
7 Replies

8. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between file descriptor and file pointer

hi...., can anyone tell me what is the exact difference between file descriptor and file pointer...... and why file descriptor takes integer value???:confused: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
10 Replies

10. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies
POPEN(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  POPEN(3)

NAME
popen, pclose - process I/O SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *popen(const char *command, const char *type); int pclose(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The popen() function opens a process by creating a pipe, forking, and invoking the shell. Since a pipe is by definition unidirectional, the type argument may specify only reading or writing, not both; the resulting stream is correspondingly read-only or write-only. The command argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string containing a shell command line. This command is passed to /bin/sh using the -c flag; interpretation, if any, is performed by the shell. The mode argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string which must be either `r' for reading or `w' for writing. The return value from popen() is a normal standard I/O stream in all respects save that it must be closed with pclose() rather than fclose(). Writing to such a stream writes to the standard input of the command; the command's standard output is the same as that of the process that called popen(), unless this is altered by the command itself. Conversely, reading from a ``popened'' stream reads the com- mand's standard output, and the command's standard input is the same as that of the process that called popen. Note that output popen streams are fully buffered by default. The pclose function waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command as returned by wait4. RETURN VALUE
The popen function returns NULL if the fork(2) or pipe(2) calls fail, or if it cannot allocate memory. The pclose function returns -1 if wait4 returns an error, or some other error is detected. ERRORS
The popen function does not set errno if memory allocation fails. If the underlying fork() or pipe() fails, errno is set appropriately. If the mode argument is invalid, and this condition is detected, errno is set to EINVAL. If pclose() cannot obtain the child status, errno is set to ECHILD. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.2 BUGS
Since the standard input of a command opened for reading shares its seek offset with the process that called popen(), if the original process has done a buffered read, the command's input position may not be as expected. Similarly, the output from a command opened for writing may become intermingled with that of the original process. The latter can be avoided by calling fflush(3) before popen. Failure to execute the shell is indistinguishable from the shell's failure to execute command, or an immediate exit of the command. The only hint is an exit status of 127. HISTORY
A popen() and a pclose() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. SEE ALSO
fork(2), sh(1), pipe(2), wait4(2), fflush(3), fclose(3), fopen(3), stdio(3), system(3) BSD MANPAGE
1998-05-07 POPEN(3)