Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbies problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbies problem Post 98313 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 7th of February 2006 10:05:14 AM
Old 02-07-2006
Your question needs some clarification.

$@ returns command line parameters. What exactly are you trying to do?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specially for unix newbies

Hi Everyone, I got a good news to unix newbies. If you want to try some unix command on your windows' desktop, I can recommend this program to u all. So you can practice unix command with your PC. It is something like using MS-DOS on desktop. Search "Cygwin 1.3.1" in www.download.com It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clemeot
2 Replies

2. Tips and Tutorials

PERL & CPAN Intro for Newbies

So you want to learn a unix scripting language that you'll be able to use in any situation? Perl is your answer ! This is a little intro to installing CPAN modules. If you don't know what CPAN is, check out http://search.cpan.org/. Basicly, it is a massive archive of perl libraries that will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: obitus
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am one of the newbies, please advise

I am new to UNIX and Linux. I have some experiences with Windows server. I am thinking to start with those OS (Unix/Linux) and more specifically with the OS for the server. however, i have no idea which one would i start first, unix or linux? Because i also dont know how they are different. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What kind of Linux for the newbies?

I am one of the newbies. I want to load linux on my notebook, however, i am not sure which linux is the most recommend for the newbies. Could you please advise? Thanks you very much for any advise you may give me. Best Regards, SANLEN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
2 Replies

5. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

2 questions for newbies

Hi I'm totally new to solaris 5.9 Two questions. 1. What is the replacement for /proc/cpuinfo (isn't this part of POSIX). I heard it's psrinfo but it doesn't work. 2. I use ssh - v -X with X tunelling from linux onto a solaris server, but xclock failed. it says won't open display. $DISPLAY is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync tutorial for newbies

Hi. Learning rsync from the man pages can be daunting. I wrote this tutorial to make learning rsync easier: rsync tutorial (rsync2u) The rsync tutorial is for new rsync users. Three small backup examples thoroughly explain rsync --link-dest, --recursive, and --exlcude-from options. Enjoy. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies
gather_stx_titles(1)					      General Commands Manual					      gather_stx_titles(1)

NAME
gather_stx_titles - gather title declarations from Stx documents SYNOPSIS
gather_stx_titles [ -f from-suffix ] [ -t to-suffix ] [ m4 options ] file [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
gather_stx_titles digs out Stx metadata declarations from the listed files, and dumps the title and document ID information as m4 defini- tions into standard output. This information can later be used by w_crosslink to link the documents by their metadata. Why is this useful? Well, imagine that you have a large site with a lot of cross-linking. A document's name will appear in many places: in the link menu (if you have one), and in the body of different pages where it is cross-linked from. gather_stx_titles lets you put all the information in one place and where it belongs, i.e. the file itself. You'll be glad if you did, when the time comes to change document titles or move the documents around; especially so if your website has multilingual magic. OPTIONS
gather_stx_titles uses m4 internally and will accept any option m4 accepts. In addition to those, it takes the following options: -f from-suffix In the filename data, substitute away the suffix from-suffix. Actually, from_suffix may be a regular expression; stupid but true, in GNU m4 it is a "traditional" regexp, whereas in BSD m4 it is an "extended" regexp. Default to no suffix (nothing to take away). -t to-suffix In the filename data, substitute the suffix taken away by from-suffix with to-suffix. If from-suffix is nil (the default), append to-suffix to all filenames. -p prefix Strip away the prefix given by (regular expression) prefix from filenames. The equivalent of -t for this does not exist, because you can specify a directory prefix to w_crosslink by w_base. --version, -V Just show version information and exit. --help, -? Just show a short help message and exit. EXAMPLES
I guess most of the time you will want to automate the use of gather_stx_titles, for example with a Makefile like this: SOURCES = $(wildcard *.stx) TARGETS = $(SOURCES:.stx=.html) all: $(TARGETS) titles.m4: $(SOURCES) gather_stx_titles -f stx -t html $^ > $@ %.html: %.stx titles.m4 stx2any -T html titles.m4 $< > $@ If you don't want to be quite so correct, drop the .html dependency on titles.m4 or titles.m4 dependency on SOURCES. Using temporary files is not necessary: this should also work: $ gather_stx_titles *.stx | stx2any - mydoc.stx SEE ALSO
stx2any (1). AUTHOR
This page is written by Panu A. Kalliokoski. Panu A. Kalliokoski gather_stx_titles(1)