Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: easy unix question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers easy unix question Post 98165 by wallacer on Monday 6th of February 2006 04:31:10 PM
Old 02-06-2006
easy unix question

I am trying to check through all of a certain type of file in all main directories, and find the top 10 that are taking up the most space. How can I do that? I was thinking like du *.file | sort -n | head

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy UNIX notation question

can anyone tell me what exactly the following UNIX notation code does cause I need to do the same in windows? for x in webapps/sal/*.htm* do mv $x $x.bak sed 's@bob@sal@g' $x.bak > $x done Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lavaghman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy question

Hi, Simple question. How do I convert a unix text file to a dos text file? Thanks Helen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A easy question.

this is the simple question, please help me! the question is: how to send exactly 50 ICMP Echo request packets with 500 bytes of payload to 202.139.129.221? I tried to use ping -F 500 202.139.129.221, but it didn't work. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy sed question?

I have a line like: "Jun 19 12:56:22 routername 45454:" I want to keep all information except the seconds of the time. I tried: sed 's/..:..:../..:../g' but apparently I'm on the wrong track, because although that matches on the time, it replaces it with the literal ..:.. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie with an easy question

I'm looking to write a script that takes a certain directory and gzips all its files that are older than 2 days. I've done some research but for the life of me, I can't even get any files gzipped. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrockrocks
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy unix/sed question that I could have done 10 years ago!

Hi all and greetings from Ireland! I have not used much unix or awk/sed in years and have forgotten a lot. Easy enough query tho. I am cleansing/fixing 10,000 postal addresses using global replacements. I have 2 pipe delimited files , one is basically a spell checker for geographical... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewsbury
4 Replies
SORT(1) 							   User Commands							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort lines of text files SYNOPSIS
sort [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write sorted concatenation of all FILE(s) to standard output. Ordering options: Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --ignore-leading-blanks ignore leading blanks -d, --dictionary-order consider only blanks and alphanumeric characters -f, --ignore-case fold lower case to upper case characters -g, --general-numeric-sort compare according to general numerical value -i, --ignore-nonprinting consider only printable characters -M, --month-sort compare (unknown) < `JAN' < ... < `DEC' -n, --numeric-sort compare according to string numerical value -r, --reverse reverse the result of comparisons Other options: -c, --check check whether input is sorted; do not sort -k, --key=POS1[,POS2] start a key at POS1, end it at POS 2 (origin 1) -m, --merge merge already sorted files; do not sort -o, --output=FILE write result to FILE instead of standard output -s, --stable stabilize sort by disabling last-resort comparison -S, --buffer-size=SIZE use SIZE for main memory buffer -t, --field-separator=SEP use SEP instead of non- to whitespace transition -T, --temporary-directory=DIR use DIR for temporaries, not $TMPDIR or /tmp multiple options specify multiple directories -u, --unique with -c: check for strict ordering otherwise: output only the first of an equal run -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit POS is F[.C][OPTS], where F is the field number and C the character position in the field. OPTS is one or more single-letter ordering options, which override global ordering options for that key. If no key is given, use the entire line as the key. SIZE may be followed by the following multiplicative suffixes: % 1% of memory, b 1, K 1024 (default), and so on for M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. *** WARNING *** The locale specified by the environment affects sort order. Set LC_ALL=C to get the traditional sort order that uses native byte values. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sort is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sort programs are properly installed at your site, the command info sort should give you access to the complete manual. sort (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 SORT(1)