Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages Post 98128 by jim mcnamara on Monday 6th of February 2006 11:04:48 AM
Old 02-06-2006
It appears that you have a lot of context switching - that is why the kernel is active.

You may want to look at how priorities are set on the processes that are getting moved in/out. If the processes are not stuck in a loop, you can clear the traffic by letting one or two processes get through a little faster.

Your system does not appear to be I/O bound, so it has to be CPU contention.

FWIW - It also looks like your swap is pretty close to being maxed out as well, like 95% of it is used.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High kernel usage using sleep

Hi I have a lot of scripts running on a Sun Solaris server, which are constantly running in a loop looking for work to do. When they have no work they sleep for a certain amount of time (60secs normally). I have 13 of these scripts running the number of sleep command issued can be in the order... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

HIgh Load

Hi All. In my production server the load is very high. normally it used to be less than 1,but now it is more than 5. I am new to unix all together. I want to know what is the reason behind high load. and if it is high what is the impact? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoti
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

High cpu load average

Hi Buddies, Thanx for reading my first post... After googling a lot and searching so many forums I am feeling down a bit... Please don't mind my ignorence, and my grammer ... :) My server is running RHEL 2.6.9-5.EL. The cpu load is going higher than roof, almost 100 sometimes. I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extremely high kernel CPU Usage (Solaris 10 SPARC)

I've got a domain running on a few boards of a 25k. I'm seeing very high kernel cpu usage in top and cant' quite explain it. System runs a large number of smallish Oracle 10g2 databases (30), used mainly for development. load average: 36.63, 36.68, 37.42 2489 processes: 2452 sleeping, 21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: utopiajoe
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's a high load for my system?

I'm not sure if this belong in dummies or advanced so I made my best guess. Go easy on me if I get it wrong. I'm trying to determine what a high load for my system is. I run a php/mysql web server with a dedicated host. The host has a Intel Xeon 3110 (Dual Core) processor. Our load seems to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanguard
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel usage is high

Hi all, I have a solaris box, and I would like to know if anyone has commands to check kernel usage's. Scenario: solaris box is having cpu 100 % issue. . I have used sar -u 10 5 it shows 35 % kernel usage. If you can guide with some docs that would be good.. waiting for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High load average troubleshoot

Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm getting high load average and can't find a reason for this, please share your inputs. load average: 7.78, 7.50, 7.31 Tasks: 330 total, 1 running, 329 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu0 : 7.0%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 23.9%id, 0.0%wa, 38.9%hi,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log files @ high load

Hi, my VPS was overloaded and inaccessible for some time and i want to ask for help in which log files i need to look, or which tools to setup to monitor and find the cause of repeated hig load? watched: /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/httpd/access_log /var/log/httpd/error_log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies
CFETOOLGRAPH(8) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   CFETOOLGRAPH(8)

NAME
cfetoolgraph - create graphs from a cfetool database SYNOPSIS
cfetoolgraph name [--path|-p directory name] [--daily|-d] [--weekly|-w] [--yearly|-y] [--timestamps|-T] [--resolution|-r] [--help|-h] DESCRIPTION
The cfetoolgraph command dumps graphs of averages for visual inspection of the normal state database. The files are in a format viewable by "gnuplot" or "xgmr" or other graphical plotting program. The command generates three or four files in a subdirectory of the database directory with a name beginning with either "daily", "weekly" or "yearly", then "-", then either "snapshot" or the current time, if the -T option is used. The files are named "average", "stddev", and "graph". The "graph" file contains both the averages and standard deviations, useful for plotting with error bars. If a histogram file is present, a fourth file named "distr" will also be created, plotting the distribution of fluctuations about the mean value. If the -d, -w and -y options are all omitted, the default is to only graph the weekly database. OPTIONS
--path|-p directory name The directory in which the database specified by name can be found. --daily|-d Graph the daily averages database. --weekly|-w Graph the weekly averages database. --yearly|-y Graph the yearly averages database. --timestamps|-T Time-stamp the output filenames with the current time, in order to give a unique name. --resolution|-r Generate high resolution data (), instead of averaging data over periods of one hour to generate simpler and smoother graphs. --help|-h Prints a short help message and then exits. EXAMPLE
% cfetoolgraph temperature --path /my/path --resolution Create graph files of the weekly database in high resolution in the "/my/path/temperature/weekly-snapshot" directory. AUTHORS
The code and documentation were contributed by Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, a department of Stanford University. This documentation was written by Elizabeth Cassell <e_a_c@mailsnare.net> and Alf Wachsmann <alfw@slac.stanford.edu> COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMER
Copyright 2004 Alf Wachsmann <alfw@slac.stanford.edu> and Elizabeth Cassell <e_a_c@mailsnare.net> All rights reserved. perl v5.8.4 2004-09-21 CFETOOLGRAPH(8)