Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running Processing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running Processing Post 9809 by jacobsa on Saturday 3rd of November 2001 11:42:07 AM
Old 11-03-2001
Running Processing

Hello,

I have a question about running processes on my Sun. I want to know how I can find where these threads are being spawned from. I know about the /etc/init and /etc/rc#.d directories and how to stop some services from running. It does not seem as if all of the daemons that are started are here, for example sendmail, where in sol 8 tells the sendmail daemon to run and details the switches to execute when it starts... I am new to Solaris, did experiment with Linux, which I think is a little clearer.. Any help will be appreciated.

-AJ

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File processing

Hi, I have file having 10 coloumns in each row. I need to remove those line which does not have 10 coloumns, like if a row has more than 10 coloumns then remove that line similalry if the row has less than 10 coloumns then remove that line. File1.txt 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total Running Wild

Hi. A shell scripting newbie here. I am trying to write a script that will create a running total of Sales, and increment a counter for each Sales entry, but when I executed the program it never stopped. counter=0 Sales=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales while do let counter=counter+1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make parallel processing rather than serial processing ??

Hello everybody, I have a little problem with one of my program. I made a plugin for collectd (a stats collector for my servers) but I have a problem to make it run in parallel. My program gathers stats from logs, so it needs to run in background waiting for any new lines added in the log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
0 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why script is running sometimes and not running sometimes?

Hi, I have a script which does couple of database connection and run some SELECT queries to get some output in the file. I am surprised to see :eek: that when i run my script some times it gives the desired out put and sometimes it shows some error :confused: . Suppose if i execute it say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
3 Replies
RC.SENDMAIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    RC.SENDMAIL(8)

NAME
rc.sendmail -- sendmail(8) startup script DESCRIPTION
The rc.sendmail script is used by /etc/rc at boot time to start sendmail(8). It is meant to be sendmail(8) specific and not a generic script for all MTAs. It is only called by /etc/rc if the rc.conf(5) mta_start_script variable is set to /etc/rc.sendmail. The rc.sendmail script can take an optional argument specifying the action to perform. The available actions are: start Starts both the MTA and the MSP queue runner. stop Stops both the MTA and the MSP queue runner. restart Restarts both the MTA and the MSP queue runner. start-mta Starts just the MTA. stop-mta Stops just the MTA. restart-mta Restarts just the MTA. start-mspq Starts just the MSP queue runner. stop-mspq Stops just the MSP queue runner. restart-mspq Restarts just the MSP queue runner. If no action is specified, start is assumed. The rc.sendmail script is also used by /etc/mail/Makefile to enable the Makefile's start, stop, and restart targets. RC.CONF VARIABLES The following variables affect the behavior of rc.sendmail. They are defined in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and can be changed in /etc/rc.conf. sendmail_enable (str) If set to ``YES'', run the sendmail(8) daemon at system boot time. If set to ``NO'', do not run a sendmail(8) daemon to listen for incoming network mail. This does not preclude a sendmail(8) daemon listening on the SMTP port of the loopback interface. The ``NONE'' option is deprecated and should not be used. It will be removed in a future release. sendmail_cert_create (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``YES'', create a signed certificate /etc/mail/certs/host.cert representing /etc/mail/certs/host.key by the CA certificate in /etc/mail/certs/cacert.pem. This will enable connecting hosts to negotiate START- TLS allowing incoming email to be encrypted in transit. sendmail(8) needs to be configured to use these generated files. The default configuration in /etc/mail/freebsd.mc has the required options in it. sendmail_cert_cn (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``YES'' and sendmail_cert_create is set to ``YES'', this is the Common Name (CN) of the certifi- cate that will be created. If sendmail_cert_cn is not set, the system's hostname will be used. If there is no hostname set, ``amnesiac'' will be used. sendmail_flags (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``YES'', these are the flags to pass to the sendmail(8) daemon. sendmail_submit_enable (bool) If set to ``YES'' and sendmail_enable is set to ``NO'', run sendmail(8) using sendmail_submit_flags instead of sendmail_flags. This is intended to allow local mail submission via a localhost-only listening SMTP service required for running sendmail(8) as a non-set-user-ID binary. Note that this does not work inside jail(2) systems, as jails do not allow binding to just the localhost interface. sendmail_submit_flags (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``NO'' and sendmail_submit_enable is set to ``YES'', these are the flags to pass to the sendmail(8) daemon. sendmail_outbound_enable (bool) If set to ``YES'' and both sendmail_enable and sendmail_submit_enable are set to ``NO'', run sendmail(8) using sendmail_outbound_flags instead of sendmail_flags. This is intended to allow local mail queue management for systems that do not offer a listening SMTP service. sendmail_outbound_flags (str) If both sendmail_enable and sendmail_submit_enable are set to ``NO'' and sendmail_outbound_enable is set to ``YES'', these are the flags to pass to the sendmail(8) daemon. sendmail_msp_queue_enable (bool) If set to ``YES'', start a client (MSP) queue runner sendmail(8) daemon at system boot time. As of sendmail 8.12, a separate queue is used for command line submissions. The client queue runner ensures that nothing is left behind in the submission queue. sendmail_msp_queue_flags (str) If sendmail_msp_queue_enable is set to ``YES'', these are the flags to pass to the sendmail(8) daemon. These variables are used to determine how the sendmail(8) daemons are started: # MTA if (${sendmail_enable} == NONE) # Do nothing else if (${sendmail_enable} == YES) start sendmail with ${sendmail_flags} else if (${sendmail_submit_enable} == YES) start sendmail with ${sendmail_submit_flags} else if (${sendmail_outbound_enable} == YES) start sendmail with ${sendmail_outbound_flags} endif # MSP Queue Runner if (${sendmail_enable} != NONE && [ -r /etc/mail/submit.cf] && ${sendmail_msp_queue_enable} == YES) start sendmail with ${sendmail_msp_queue_flags} endif To completely prevent any sendmail(8) daemons from starting, you must set the following variables in /etc/rc.conf: sendmail_enable="NO" sendmail_submit_enable="NO" sendmail_outbound_enable="NO" sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO" SEE ALSO
rc.conf(5), rc(8), sendmail(8) HISTORY
The rc.sendmail file appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. BSD
October 19, 2013 BSD