Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assigning variables in sed command Post 98021 by reborg on Saturday 4th of February 2006 01:56:16 PM
Old 02-04-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxornot
sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt
did you mean :
Code:
sed -ne "/$segment${left}/,/$segment${right}/p" file.txt

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

assigning variables to their defaults

Hi, Is there any way to assign defaults values to the shell variables without reassigning them ( restarting the session) for example after login the value of ORACLE_HOME=/a/b/c i have changed this value from the console export ORACLE_HOME=/c/d now what if i want the value exported to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables not assigning in a function

Hi GUYS, I have function. I am assigning a line count to count variable. But it is throwing an error at this line. function_recur (){ #file being created in this function lenth = `wc -l function_outpu.dat`; echo $lenth; } this is the error i got rec.ksh: lenth: not found. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning variables using awk

Hi, I am having a line which is separated by - I need to extract each field and put into some variable. a=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $1}' ` b=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $2}' ` c=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $3}' ` d=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading and assigning variables

Hi Gurus, I have a file named log with 2 lines Each line is a file name. eg $ cat log monday tuesday I need to read log and assign each output(filename) to a different variable. The following doesn't work:- while read A B do echo " a is ${A} " echo " b is ${B} " done <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisdom
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variables in 'sed' append command?

HELLO!! I'm trying to pass a variable with in the 'sed' command (which would add some piece of code to file at a particular line). We can use sed '{line-number}a\ alfjaljf\ aslfjsfsjafl\ adlfjaf\' file.txt If file.txt is Now, I would like to add the parameter 'lmn' after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variables

i have variables RECIPIENTS_DEVL,RECIPIENTS_UACC,RECIPIENTS_PROD i have a case statement to get the phase variable: case ${WMD_UPHASE1} in u) WMD_UPHASE4=UACC;; i) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; p) WMD_UPHASE4=PROD;; d) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; *) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; esac I am unable to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variables

Hi, Can the below be clarified please. i just want to know what is the difference between the two ways of assigning variables as mentioned below. export SRC_TBL=${SRC_TBL-"MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG"} export SRC_TBL="MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG" thanks in advance :) Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
1 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

Name
       shmop, shmat, shmdt - shared memory operations

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/ipc.h>
       #include <sys/shm.h>

char *shmat (shmid, shmaddr, shmflg)
       int shmid;
       char *shmaddr;
       int shmflg;

int shmdt (shmaddr)
       char *shmaddr;

Description
       The  system  call attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of
       the calling process.  The segment is attached at the address specified by one of the following criteria:

If shmaddr is equal to zero, the segment is attached at the first available address as selected by the system.

If shmaddr is not equal to zero and (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is true, the segment is attached at the address given by (shmaddr- (shmaddr modulus
       SHMLBA )).

If shmaddr is not equal to zero and (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is false, the segment is attached at the address given by shmaddr.

The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg & SHM_RDONLY ) is true. Otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing.

The system call detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, the return values are as follows:

o   The system call returns the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment.

o   The system call returns a value of zero (0).

Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and not attach the shared memory segment, if any of the following is true:

[EINVAL]       The shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier.

[EACCES]       Operation permission is denied to the calling process.  For further information, see

[ENOMEM]       The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment.

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not equal to zero, and the value of (shmaddr- (shmaddr modulus SHMLBA )) is an illegal address.

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not equal to zero, (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is false, and the value of shmaddr is an illegal address.

[EMFILE]       The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process would exceed the system imposed limit.

The fails and does not detach the shared memory segment if:

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment.

See Also
       execve(2), exit(2), fork(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2)

shmop(2)