Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup method
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Backup method Post 9794 by rwb1959 on Friday 2nd of November 2001 03:28:22 PM
Old 11-02-2001
You seem to be asking to do confilcting things...

automated, multi-volume backup with cpio and do it in cron job

...the problem is that if you were to redirect output of cpio...

find / -depth -print | cpio -ovcBK 1200 -O /dev/rfd096ds15 > /dev/console 2>&1

...if you run this from cron, you will not have a controlling tty
and cpio will not be "reading" from the tty you are at.

I might suggest using some other backup utility. Take a look at...
http://www.backupcentral.com/software-backup.html

...you might find somthing that suits you here.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

which encryption method?

hello ppl, i've been coding a perl script for xchat and i need to store the nick's passwords. i was wondering which encryption to use. picture this situation: i've got a system flaw and some guy hacks the machine and gets his hands on the passwd file; he has access to the script. what encryption... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

3. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

4. Programming

Regarding Native method

Hi, I am working with solaris 9 and I am using jre1.6. In my application,I am using java and C++ in my application.Basically we are using the java for front end and C/C++ for back hand.So I have to call the C/C++ source code form java code.we are using native methods for it.. So application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to get the status of the method

Hi, I have created a services and method to start the processes. Method: #!/sbin/sh . /lib/svc/share/smf_include.sh case "$1" in 'start') /usr/local/proce start sleep 10 ;; 'stop') /usr/local/proce stop ;; *) echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
5 Replies

6. Programming

message and method

Differentiate between the message and method. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinglow
2 Replies

7. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
cpio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   cpio(4)

NAME
cpio - Format of cpio archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure, when the -c option of cpio(1) is not used, is: struct { short h_magic, h_dev; ushort h_ino, h_mode, h_uid, h_gid; short h_nlink, h_rdev h_mtime[2], h_namesize, h_filesize[2]' char h_name[h_namesize rounded to word]; } Hdr; When the -c option is used, the header information is described by: sscanf(Chdr,"%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%11lo%6o%11lo%s", &Hdr.h_magic, &Hdr.h_dev, &Hdr.h_ino, &Hdr.h_mode, &Hdr.h_uid, &Hdr.h_gid, &Hdr.h_nlink, &Hdr.h_rdev, &Longtime, &Hdr.h_namesize,&Longfile,Hdr.h_name); The Longtime and Longfile are equivalent to Hdr.h_mtime and Hdr.h_filesize, respec- tively. The contents of each file are recorded in an element of the array of varying length structures, archive, together with other items describing the file. Every instance of h_magic contains the constant 070707 (octal). The items h_dev through h_mtime have meanings explained in stat(2). The length of the null-terminated path name h_name, including the null byte, is given by h_namesize. The last record of the archive always contains the name TRAILER!!! Special files, directories, and the trailer are recorded with h_file- size equal to zero. RELATED INFORMATION
cpio(1), find(1), stat(2) delim off cpio(4)