Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Passwords in /etc/shadow file Post 97565 by Perderabo on Tuesday 31st of January 2006 03:56:06 PM
Old 01-31-2006
I'm not a crypto expert, but I have to say that I am not convinced that md5 hashes constitute a successful replacement to the standard unix password hash. Before md5, we had md2 and md4 both of which failed to live up to their promises. In this paper, Collisions for Hash Functions MD4, MD5, HAVAL-128 and RIPEMD demonstrate collisions for md5. It's especially jarring that they can find a collision for md4 by hand, no computer needed. And Bruce Snieder checks in with Opinion: Cryptanalysis of MD5 and SHA: Time for a new standard. On the other hand, it may be that stuff like md5 is unusually strong when hashing a very short string like a password. But I'm reluctant to use a new algorithm until it has proven itself for awhile.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

3. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

4. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Cracking complex passwords (/etc/shadow)

I'm doing some labs regarding password cracking on Linux machines. I took the shadow file from one of my virtual machines and it looks like below: bruno:$1$mrVjnhtj$bg47WvwLXN4bZrUNCf1Lh.:14019:0:99999:7::: From my understanding the most important piece regarding password cracking on linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bcaseiro
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies
md5(3)								      OpenSSL								    md5(3)

NAME
MD2, MD4, MD5, MD2_Init, MD2_Update, MD2_Final, MD4_Init, MD4_Update, MD4_Final, MD5_Init, MD5_Update, MD5_Final - MD2, MD4, and MD5 hash functions SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/md2.h> unsigned char *MD2(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n, unsigned char *md); void MD2_Init(MD2_CTX *c); void MD2_Update(MD2_CTX *c, const unsigned char *data, unsigned long len); void MD2_Final(unsigned char *md, MD2_CTX *c); #include <openssl/md4.h> unsigned char *MD4(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n, unsigned char *md); void MD4_Init(MD4_CTX *c); void MD4_Update(MD4_CTX *c, const void *data, unsigned long len); void MD4_Final(unsigned char *md, MD4_CTX *c); #include <openssl/md5.h> unsigned char *MD5(const unsigned char *d, unsigned long n, unsigned char *md); void MD5_Init(MD5_CTX *c); void MD5_Update(MD5_CTX *c, const void *data, unsigned long len); void MD5_Final(unsigned char *md, MD5_CTX *c); DESCRIPTION
MD2, MD4, and MD5 are cryptographic hash functions with a 128 bit output. MD2(), MD4(), and MD5() compute the MD2, MD4, and MD5 message digest of the n bytes at d and place it in md (which must have space for MD2_DIGEST_LENGTH == MD4_DIGEST_LENGTH == MD5_DIGEST_LENGTH == 16 bytes of output). If md is NULL, the digest is placed in a static array. The following functions may be used if the message is not completely stored in memory: MD2_Init() initializes a MD2_CTX structure. MD2_Update() can be called repeatedly with chunks of the message to be hashed (len bytes at data). MD2_Final() places the message digest in md, which must have space for MD2_DIGEST_LENGTH == 16 bytes of output, and erases the MD2_CTX. MD4_Init(), MD4_Update(), MD4_Final(), MD5_Init(), MD5_Update(), and MD5_Final() are analogous using an MD4_CTX and MD5_CTX structure. Applications should use the higher level functions EVP_DigestInit(3) etc. instead of calling the hash functions directly. NOTE
MD2, MD4, and MD5 are recommended only for compatibility with existing applications. In new applications, SHA-1 or RIPEMD-160 should be preferred. RETURN VALUES
MD2(), MD4(), and MD5() return pointers to the hash value. MD2_Init(), MD2_Update(), MD2_Final(), MD4_Init(), MD4_Update(), MD4_Final(), MD5_Init(), MD5_Update(), and MD5_Final() do not return val- ues. CONFORMING TO
RFC 1319, RFC 1320, RFC 1321 SEE ALSO
sha(3), ripemd(3), EVP_DigestInit(3) HISTORY
MD2(), MD2_Init(), MD2_Update() MD2_Final(), MD5(), MD5_Init(), MD5_Update() and MD5_Final() are available in all versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL. MD4(), MD4_Init(), and MD4_Update() are available in OpenSSL 0.9.6 and above. 0.9.7a 2000-08-14 md5(3)