Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Passwords in /etc/shadow file Post 97557 by infierno on Tuesday 31st of January 2006 03:04:42 PM
Old 01-31-2006
I've tried something like that and it worked fine, converting my /etc/master.passwd from FreeBSD to Solaris 10's /etc/shadow, then copied to Linux and still worked, of course, all servers was configured to handle md5

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

3. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

4. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Cracking complex passwords (/etc/shadow)

I'm doing some labs regarding password cracking on Linux machines. I took the shadow file from one of my virtual machines and it looks like below: bruno:$1$mrVjnhtj$bg47WvwLXN4bZrUNCf1Lh.:14019:0:99999:7::: From my understanding the most important piece regarding password cracking on linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bcaseiro
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies
UPDATE-PASSWD(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  UPDATE-PASSWD(8)

NAME
update-passwd - safely update /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group SYNOPSIS
update-passwd [options] DESCRIPTION
update-passwd handles updates of /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group on running Debian systems. It compares the current files to mas- ter copies, distributed in the base-passwd package, and updates all entries in the global system range (that is, 0-99). OPTIONS
update-passwd follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes ('-'). -p, --passwd-master=FILE Use FILE as the master copy of the passwd database. The default value is /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master. -g, --group-master=FILE Use FILE as the master copy of the group database. The default value is /usr/share/base-passwd/group.master. -P, --passwd=FILE Use FILE as the system passwd database. The default value is /etc/passwd. -S, --shadow=FILE Use FILE as the system shadow database. The default value is /etc/shadow. -G, --group=FILE Use FILE as the system group database. The default value is /etc/group. -s, --sanity-check Only perform sanity-checks but don't do anything. -v, --verbose Give detailed information about what we are doing. A second -v gives additional detail. -n, --dry-run Don't do anything but only show what we would do. -L, --no-locking Don't attempt to lock the account database. This should only be used for debugging purposes. I repeat: do not do this unless you are really sure you need this! -h, --help Show a summary of how to use update-passwd. -V, --version Show the version number BUGS
At this moment update-passwd does not verify the shadow-file. It should check if the entries in the passwd are also in shadow and vice versa, and that passwords are not present in both files. AUTHOR
Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org> This program was written for the Debian project, and is copyright 1999-2002 Wichert Akkerman and copyright 2002, 2003 Colin Watson. It is distributed under version 2 of the GNU General Public License. DEBIAN
Debian tools UPDATE-PASSWD(8)