Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace ascii chars without loosing it. Post 97519 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 31st of January 2006 08:02:38 AM
Old 01-31-2006
check out the tr utility man tr
Code:
tr -s '\t' ':'

tr changes tabs to colons in this example

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace in ASCII file

Greetings.... I'm looking for the command and syntax to search files, several actually, that will find the string pattern "\0;" and delete it. I have over 200 files to change :o Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karpolu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace chars,

:rolleyes: Hi, I want to replace the particular text in the middle of the line. Ex. In the line 40-50 wanted to replace the char as 'x' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Junk chars (Sed)

I know this has been asked previously on this forum...But I think I have a different scenario to present. I ahve a file tht looks like this (note:there are control Z and other chars tht are not visible on line with anme bowers) BB7118450 6004718 BIANCALANA =HEI BZ5842819 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file with non ascii chars and cjk with perl

Hello, I am not a programmer, please be patient. Actually, I have started to look into Perl because it seems to be able to solve all the problems (or most of them) I happen meet using my computer. These problems are generally all text-manipulation-related. Although I started to study, I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsog
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace double quotes in to ascii value?

Hi, I am getting the data from text file and it contains comma and double quootes. Eg: text file like this: Travelling up Cattai Ridge Rd, going through the "S" bends at the top. Felt a "pull" and pain in groin area, on right side after lifting at work. Repeat "twisting" while working manual... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh4851
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace char between chars - help needed

Hello, I have a csv file with "^" as text delimiters and "|" as field delimiters. It's converted from a xls file. One record looks like this: ^Tablete Internet^|Archos|501838|^Tableta Internet ARCHOS 80 G9 ...| ... (more lines) ... "501|838"^|330.00|USD|sl|12|0|Link|^router wireless 150... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: go0ogl3
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or sed to search, replace/insert chars!

HI All Im trying to come up with an approach to finding a string, using a portion of that string to insert it on lines starting with the value "GOTO" appending to end of line after removing PT's ( See example below! ) EXAMPLE: 1. I would like to search for the line that starts with "TLAXIS/"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: graymj
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace alphabets in a string with their ASCII values

hi. I have a requirement where I need to REPLACE all alphabets from an alphanumeric input string into their respective ASCII decimal value. For example: If the input string is ABAC123, the output should be 65666567123 I am seeking a single line command, and I was trying searching for options... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
21 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in refs/replace/ namespace. The name of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist. Replacement references will be used by default by all Git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-REPLACE(1)