Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirection to tty** with cat Post 9744 by zorro on Friday 2nd of November 2001 02:29:54 AM
Old 11-02-2001
Question redirection to tty** with cat

I tried to cat a file to another user that was logged in, but I received an error message that displayed something like:

%cat funny > /dev/ttyp3
zsh: permission denied: /dev/ttyp3

Thank you all for your help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tty remote IP

I am fairly new to Unix Terminal outputs and I have a server that is sending print jobs to a PortServer 8 RJ45 situated in a remote location. It is working fine however we need to change the Subnet of that location and I am unable to find where the IP associated with the terminal is located. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin_Montreal
4 Replies

2. AIX

tty

Hi All can anyone tell me what is the meaning of tty,or give me an example of this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who truncates the output? redirection? tty? Bug?

Hi, Output of running berkeley ps is truncated to 80 chars when using redirections. $ /usr/ucb/ps -e 12490|cat #truncated to 80 chars PID TT S TIME COMMAND 12490 pts/24 S 0:00 sleep 4000 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa getting longer lines is done by changing the stty $... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredy
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding redirection using cat.

The behavior of the following 2 operations is unexpected. K1 and K2 are files here :- 1) cat < K1 K2 The above operation should actually display contents of the both files. But it gives the contents of K2 only. How is that ? 2) cat > K1 K2 Above operation takes the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty with CAT redirection in script

I have not been able to append the contents of many files into one file. I have executed the CAT command shown below separately substituting an actual path and file name for the array variable to verify that I have the syntax correct. The bottom line - nothing is happening with CAT. I am running... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmith
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)