Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Making a new OS based on Solaris / OpenSolaris Post 96941 by pressy on Tuesday 24th of January 2006 06:55:48 PM
Old 01-24-2006
to be honest with you, if you are smart enough to make distributions with a solaris kernel you could support some projects which are already out. i don't think that it make sense to create 1000s distributions like with the linux kernel, there should be some stable distris and not 100s of unstable Smilie

i like that opensolaris/debian based one: Nexenta OS

gP

[moved that post to "What's on Your Mind?" because it's not a technical question]

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris : Web Based Management tools and Sun Cluster installation

Gurus, I have several questions : 1. Does Solaris 10/OpenSolaris has some kind of web based management tools ? Currently I am using WebMin. It worked fine, however I am very curious to use the tools provided by Sun Microsystem. Please advise for package name and how to activate.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenSolaris instead Sun Solaris

My dear friends is Sun microsystems normall corporation I can not set Croatian keyboard no CHANCE i tried every possible method and today I can not get my GUI login. But strange thing is that on openSolaris my keyboard layout work PERFECTLY like in linux but I do no want to go to OpenSolaris... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
36 Replies

3. Solaris

What is faster? Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris?

Title says it all. For a high performance fileserver, what's the faster solution? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
12 Replies

4. Solaris

OpenSolaris vs Solaris

What is the difference between OpenSolaris and Solaris ? Can we get the same full functionality as Solaris on SPARC in OpenSolaris ? thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
3 Replies

5. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Text based game. Need help.

Okay so Zork sparked my interest in this. I have been learning to program for the last year and a half. I've dabbled in everything from Java to Ruby to PHP & XHTML & SQL, and now I'm on bash. I really like bash scripting. Its easy and fun. I just started two days ago. Pretty much I've been writing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Making a text based game

Hello, I am looking to make a text based game, that runs in the command window, or a window similar. I will only need to use 1 window. I read somewhere that there is libraries for this kind of thing? But I can't remember the name of them.. Can anyone point me in a direction? I will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for making files based on some conditions.

Hi All, I have a text file (code_data.txt) with the followig data. AMAR AB123456 XYZ KIRAN CB789 ABC RAJ CS78890 XYZ KAMESH A33535335 ABC KUMAR MD678894 MAT RITESH SR3535355... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
26 Replies
KETCHUP(1)						      General Commands Manual							KETCHUP(1)

NAME
ketchup - Utility to update the kernel source SYNOPSIS
ketchup [options] <ver> DESCRIPTION
This tool synchronises a local kernel tree with a desired kernel version and patch set from a kernel.org mirror. The default requires a GPG key on your keyring, to verify the identity of the patches and source archives. Entire kernel images are not downloaded unless necessary, so bandwidth is saved. Patches are applied and removed as necessary to attain the requested version. OPTIONS
-a --archive (~/.ketchup) cache directory -d --directory (.) directory to update -f --full-tarball if unpacking a tarball, download the latest -g --gpg-path (/usr/bin/gpg) path for GnuPG -G --no-gpg disable GPG signature verification -k --kernel-url (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel) base url for kernel.org mirror -l --list-trees list supported trees -m --show-makefile output version in makefile <arg> -n --dry-run don't download or apply patches -o --only-dl don't apply patches -p --show-previous output version previous to <arg> -q --quiet reduce output -r --rename-directory rename updated directory to linux-<v> -s --show-latest output the latest version of <arg> -u --show-url output URL for <arg> -w --wget (/usr/bin/wget) command to use for wget CONFIGURATION
Ketchup will read files named .ketchuprc in $HOME and in the target kernel directory, with the kernel directory taking precedence. A .ketchuprc file uses the Python syntax and may set the following variables: default_tree The default_tree option specifies the kernel version to work with if one is not given on the command line. precommand The precommand option specifies a command to run before synchronising the kernel tree to the required version. postcommand The postcommand option specifies a command to run after synchronising the kernel tree to the required version. AUTHOR
ketchup was written by Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com>. This manual page was written by Baruch Even <baruch@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Description text taken from a former packaging attempt of Jack Wasey <debian@jackwasey.com>. February 16, 2010 KETCHUP(1)