Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting edit results of a find command Post 96870 by mahendramahendr on Tuesday 24th of January 2006 10:25:47 AM
Old 01-24-2006
The command you have used opens one file at a time...

Try whether this helps...

vi $(find . -name $1 | paste -s -)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find results

Hi, how can I get only useful results from find / -size 10000000 without the "Permissions denied" files ? tks C (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending find command results to email

This is probably simple so forgive me... I just want to find all files in a folder created within the last 10 minutes... This is easy: # find /home/folder -cmin -10 If the find command locates any files created in the last ten minutes I want it to send an email alert. I just want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gardellap
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to move find results

I am looking for files of a certian type and logging them. After they are logged they need to be moved to a different directory. HOw can i incorporate that in my current script? CSV_OUTFILE="somefile.csv" find . -name W\* -exec printf "%s,%s,OK" {} `date '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` \; > ${CSV_OUTFILE} ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimentelgg
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place 'find' results within TeX command

Hi, In an effort to collect all my .java-files and place them in a LaTeXfile (using the listings environment of latex), i tried to use ex. So what i have now is: find . -name "*\.java" > latex ex latex <<HERE %s/\(.*\)/\\lstinputlisting{\1} wq HERE So i try to escape the '\' with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HannesBBR
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command gave unexpected results

Hi, I recently executed a find command that caused unexpected permission changes and we had to do a full system restore. Can someone please explain what this command would do? find /staging/admin/scr * -exec chmod 755 '{}' + It caused file permissions inside / to be modified strangely. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poornima
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do ls -l on results of grep and find?

Hi, Am running the command below to search for files that contains a certain string. grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1 -print` | grep "^./scripts/active" How do I get it to do a ls -l on the list of files? I tried doing ls -l `grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script find command not printing any results

Hello, Hitting a wall on this one. When at the command prompt it works fine: # find /home/testuser -name 'PAINT*canvasON.txt' /home/testuser/PAINT_canvasON.txt # pwd /home/testuser # ls -l PAINT*canvasON.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root user 23 Feb 07 02:58 PAINT_canvasON.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird 'find' results

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I'm trying to learn the find command and thought I was understanding it... Apparently I was wrong. I was doing compound searches and I started getting weird results with the -size test. I was trying to do a search on a 1G file owned by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies
CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)						CDBS Documentation						CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
cdbs-edit-patch - create or edit a CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch SYNOPSIS
cdbs-edit-patch patchname DESCRIPTION
cdbs-edit-patch creates or edits patches for use by the CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch system. For more information about CDBS please see the documentation under /usr/share/doc/cdbs/. When patchname exists, cdbs-edit-patch will set up a temporary working source tree, apply all patches up to and including patchname in lex- icographic order, and spawn an interactive shell for the developer. The developer can then edit files in this working tree. When the developer is done and exits the shell, cdbs-edit-patch updates patchname to reflect the changes made. To abort the process from the inter- active shell, exit with a nonzero exit value. When patchname does not exist, cdbs-edit-patch will assume that a new patch should be created. As with the above scenario, cdbs-edit-patch will first create a temporary working source tree and apply all patches up to the new patch in lexicographic order. When the shell is quit, cdbs-edit-patch will create patchname. AUTHOR
CDBS was written by Colin Walters and others. cdbs-edit-patch was written by Martin Pitt. This manual page was written by Peter Eisen- traut based on the dpatch-edit-patch(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
CDBS documentation in /usr/share/doc/cdbs/, /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk, dpatch-edit-patch(1), quilt(1) Debian 5 Feb 2006 CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)