Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SUSE Per Process Memory
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SUSE Per Process Memory Post 96790 by jim mcnamara on Monday 23rd of January 2006 03:21:41 PM
Old 01-23-2006
32 bit systems have an intrinsic process size limit, imposed by the available address space of a 32 bit pointer. If you assume P0 (kernel) uses ~150 MB of address space, then you would hit the virtual limit when process space (P1 space) grows to around 3.9GB.

AFAIK, all 32bit Linux distros have that limit. It has nothing to do with RAM size or swapfile. Windows and OpenVMS have the same problem.

Do you have a serious memory leak problem in your apps?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory used by a particular process

how to get memory used by a particular process in unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory used by a process

Hello all 'top' command shows the top 15 processes in terms of CPU usage. Is there any other command in UNIX ,that will show the top processes in terms of memory usage ? or is there a command, that will give me the memory usage of a particular process ,if I pass the process id as a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory in Use by a process

How do I find the amount of memory being consumed by a particular process on AIX 5L.. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khopdi
0 Replies

4. AIX

Process using the most memory

Hi:- Is there an easy way to find out which process is consuming the most memory on an AIX server? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: janet
5 Replies

5. AIX

Process consuming most memory

How can i find the processes that is consuming most memory? I tried TOPAS and SVMON and this didn't gave me the desired result. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shabu
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

CPU and memory utilization of a process, by process name

Can someone please help me with a script that will help in identifying the CPU & memory usage by a process name, rather than a process id.This is to primarily analyze the consumption of resources, for performance tweaking. G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

8. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage(Physical) in one Word? Suse Linux.

Experts, I have been trying to figure out what is the total physical memory used from this output: And what is the free memory available for the application or any programs. The answer has to be in this format: 1. Physical Memory Used= xx.xx% 2. Physical Memry available= yy.yy% ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies
DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)

NAME
dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete an swap file SYNOPSIS
dphys-swapfile setup|swapon|swapoff|uninstall DESCRIPTION
dphys-swapfile computes the size for an optimal swap file (and resizes an existing swap file if necessary), mounts an swap file, unmounts it, and and delete it if not wanted any more. OPTIONS
There is only one parameter, an command, which can be either of these: setup Tells dphys-swapfile to compute the optimal swap file size and (re-)generate an fitting swap file. Default it 2 times RAM size. This can be called at boot time, so the file allways stays the right size for current RAM, or run by hand whenever RAM size has changed. swapon and swapoff These run the swapon and swapoff commands on the swapfile. Note that direct swapon/off from /etc/fstab is not possible, as that is (at least on Debian) done in the same script that mounts /var (which is where the swap file most likely resides). And we need to do our setup between those actions. So pass up /etc/fstab, and do our own swapon/off. uninstall Gets rid of an unwanted swap file, reclaiming the disk space. CONFIG
The config file /etc/dphys-swapfile allows the user to set up the working environment for dphys-swapfile. This config file is a sh script fragment full of assignments, which is sourced. Standard sh syntax rules apply. Assignments are: CONF_SWAPFILE Set where the swap file should be placed. Defaults to /var/swap. It is unlikely that you will need to change this, unless you have very strange partitioning, and then you will most likely be using an swap partition anyway. CONF_SWAPSIZE Force file size to this. Default is 2*RAM size. This is unlikely to be needed, unless in strange diskspace situations. Note that swap enabled and smaller than RAM causes kernal-internal VM trouble on random systems. CONF_SWAPFACTOR Set the relation between RAM and swap size. Must be an integer. Defaults to 2 which means swap size = 2 * RAM size CONF_MAXSWAP Set maximum size of the swap file in MBytes. Defaults to 2048 which was the former kernel limit for the swapfile size and is now a limit to prevent unusual big swap files on systems with a lot of RAM. FILES
/etc/dphys-swapfile user config $CONF_SWAPFILE the swap file, target of the whole action (defaults to /var/swap) EXAMPLES
dphys-swapfile is usually run at system startup and shutdown from an /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) script, such as this (minimal) one: #!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile - automatically set up an swapfile # author franklin, last modification 2004.06.04 # This script is copyright ETH Zuerich Physics Departement, # use under either modified/non-advertising BSD or GPL license case "$1" in start) /sbin/dphys-swapfile setup /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapon ;; stop) /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapoff ;; esac exit 0 If an sysadmin wants to have his swapfile in annother place, say /var/run/swap, he can use: In /etc/dphys-swapfile: CONF_SWAPFILE=/var/run/swap AUTHOR
franklin@phys.ethz.ch, http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~franklin/ D-PHYS Swapfile Tools 2006.09.15 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)