Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting is there any way to excute script every N seconds? Post 96755 by aigles on Monday 23rd of January 2006 10:30:35 AM
Old 01-23-2006
The command 'date' is executed every 5 seconds ...

Code:
$ yes 'date;sleep 5' | ksh
Mon Jan 23 16:31:56 NFT 2006
Mon Jan 23 16:32:01 NFT 2006
Mon Jan 23 16:32:06 NFT 2006
Mon Jan 23 16:32:11 NFT 2006
^C$

The yes command as piped input to another command that requires an affirmative response before it completes the specified action.

The yes command outputs 'date;sleep 5'.
Ksh read end execute yes output.
Ye outputs 'date;sleep 5' again .....

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait for 5 seconds in shell script

hi how can i wait for 5 seconds inside my shell script? 'wait 5' command doesnot seem to be working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopsman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script, trying to get tcpdump and rotate the file every 300 seconds

Greetings, I just started using scripting languages, im trying to get a tcpdump in a file, change the file name every 5mins ... this is what i have but its not working ... any suggestions? #!/bin/bash # timeout.sh #timestamp format TIMESTAMP=`date -u "+%Y%m%dT%H%M%S"` #tdump =`tcpdump... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove directory x seconds after script completes

Hi guys, I am working with a script within a Mac OS X package installer. The package installer will run the bash script once the files have been copied/installed. I have a little trouble with the last line of my script causing the package installer to crash once in a while and I have narrowed it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tret
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script if the user dosent enter any data within 5 seconds

Hello friends, Kindly help me in developing a script that asks user to enter a value and will wait for 5 seconds for the feedback. If there is no answer from the user the script will perform exit or it will continue doing something else Ex: If yu have a multi OS system i believe while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add time convert to seconds

Hi, What i am looking for and i am new to this too, is a bash script that will add time in the format hh:mm:ss and produce the answer in minutes or seconds. It needs to be a loop since there are hundreds of times in my file. This is data is from a CDR that calculates duration of time used. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trotella
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to display a dialog box every 5 seconds

I want to create a script that displays a dialog box every interval of time and exits that loop when a user presses ENTER Any idies? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute the shell script per ten seconds

hi, everyone. My want to execute the shell script below per 10 seconds PID=`pgrep java` if then /home/java/java fi crontab wouldn't help me. some one can give me suggestions?thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:26 AM ---------- ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKB48
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Login, excute command, logout Script Help

Good Evening all, After spending the last week or so reading many posts I decided to register and join in. This is my first post on the forum so please forgive me as im new to this, Im after some help in throwing together a quick basic script without using expect to change the password on several... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script variable help, Varying number of arguments to excute script

Hi Guy's. Hopefully someone can help me with what I am trying to archieve. So situation currently is, I have a script already setup however I have another script that sits infront of it. The main script basically goes and searchs multiple platforms for a list of entered data. In... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

./ignite.sh script fails after 5 seconds

Hello, I am trying to run a make_net_recovery Ignite for a server in a 2 node cluster . But I do get some issues. VG "/dev/vg59" is not defined in file "/etc/lvmtab". VG "/dev/vg59" is not defined in file "/etc/lvmtab_p". save_config: Error - vg00 not in the volume/disk group ERROR: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: velde_van_der_a
0 Replies
function::ctime

FUNCTION:(3stap)					      Time utility functions						  FUNCTION:(3stap)

NAME
function::ctime - Convert seconds since epoch into human readable date/time string SYNOPSIS
ctime:string(epochsecs:long) ARGUMENTS
epochsecs Number of seconds since epoch (as returned by gettimeofday_s) DESCRIPTION
Takes an argument of seconds since the epoch as returned by gettimeofday_s. Returns a string of the form "Wed Jun 30 21:49:08 1993" The string will always be exactly 24 characters. If the time would be unreasonable far in the past (before what can be represented with a 32 bit offset in seconds from the epoch) the returned string will be "a long, long time ago...". If the time would be unreasonable far in the future the returned string will be "far far in the future..." (both these strings are also 24 characters wide). Note that the epoch (zero) corresponds to "Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970" The earliest full date given by ctime, corresponding to epochsecs -2147483648 is "Fri Dec 13 20:45:52 1901". The latest full date given by ctime, corresponding to epochsecs 2147483647 is "Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038". The abbreviations for the days of the week are 'Sun', 'Mon', 'Tue', 'Wed', 'Thu', 'Fri', and 'Sat'. The abbreviations for the months are 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr', 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', and 'Dec'. Note that the real C library ctime function puts a newline (' ') character at the end of the string that this function does not. Also note that since the kernel has no concept of timezones, the returned time is always in GMT. SystemTap Tapset Reference May 2013 FUNCTION:(3stap)