Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Non Technical, really !!
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Non Technical, really !! Post 96576 by blowtorch on Saturday 21st of January 2006 04:36:23 PM
Old 01-21-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Continent comes from the Latin word for contain, which I still see as a requirement to count as a continent. Continent originally meant mainland. To leave a continent, you need a boat. When you can visit a building with a line going down the middle of a room showing the boundary between two continents, there is something very wrong. Anarctica is clearly a continent. America is one continent, not two. Digging a canal doesn't really count. People don't use boats to cross over the canal. Eurasia is clearly a continent and Africa is part of it. Australia seems a bit small. We have to set the bar rather low to count Australia, but ok, Australia is a continent too. That Oceanland thing is just silly. So I will concede 4 continents. But considering that people walked from Eurasia to America, I'm being generous.
I dont quite agree with you. Looking at the whole thing from a geological perspective, we had a single continent to begin with, but then the whole thing drifted apart and North and South America were seperated. So much so that there is absolutely no similarity between the flora/fauna of the two. In fact the land bridge that connects the two has not always existed in the past. The two landmasses are geographically distinct enough to classify them as seperate continents. The same is the case with Africa being part of Eurasia (Europe/Asia).

In the case of Europe and Asia, it is not the physically obvious differences, but history that plays a big part. If someone says western Europe, you know exactly where that is - western Eurasia will not ring any bells.

ALCC(1) 							  aMule utilities							   ALCC(1)

NAME
alcc - text based eD2k links calculator for aMule SYNOPSIS
alcc [-p] [-v] <inputfiles_list> alcc [-h] DESCRIPTION
Compute the eD2k links of all the input files given in the <inputfiles_list> (There can be one or more files). [ -p, --parthashes ] Compute and add part hashes to the computed eD2k links. [ -h, --help ] Prints a short usage description. [ -v, --verbose ] Be verbose - show also calculation steps. REPORTING BUGS
Please report bugs either on our forum (http://forum.amule.org/), or in our bugtracker (http://bugs.amule.org/). Please do not report bugs in e-mail, neither to our mailing list nor directly to any team member. COPYRIGHT
aMule and all of its related utilities are distributed under the GNU General Public License. SEE ALSO
alc(1), amuled(1), amulecmd(1), amuleweb(1), cas(1), ed2k(1), wxcas(1), xas(1) AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Vollstrecker <amule@vollstreckernet.de> aMule eD2k links calculator November 2011 ALCC(1)