Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Passwords in /etc/shadow file Post 96504 by Perderabo on Friday 20th of January 2006 12:41:16 PM
Old 01-20-2006
I just created an account on a Solaris 10 box. I copied the encrypted password string for a SunOS 2.6 box. That worked. Then I copied the encrypted password string for an HP-UX 11.0 box. That worked too. Solaris 10 uses the same password encryption scheme as virtually every other version of unix. Replacing crypt() would be a daunting task. It is hard to get something like that right.

See this post

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

3. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

4. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Cracking complex passwords (/etc/shadow)

I'm doing some labs regarding password cracking on Linux machines. I took the shadow file from one of my virtual machines and it looks like below: bruno:$1$mrVjnhtj$bg47WvwLXN4bZrUNCf1Lh.:14019:0:99999:7::: From my understanding the most important piece regarding password cracking on linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bcaseiro
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies
GSHADOW(5)                                                 File Formats and Conversions                                                 GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)