Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting fields from an output 8-) Post 96466 by aigles on Friday 20th of January 2006 07:37:38 AM
Old 01-20-2006
You can also use 'cut'

year=`echo 2006/01/18 | cut -d/ -f1`
month=`echo 2006/01/18 | cut -d/ -f2`
day=`echo 2006/01/18 | cut -d/ -f3`

But, i think tah the better solution is Vino post

echo 2006/01/18 | IFS=/ read year month day

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting information from text fields.

Dear friends, I'm a novice Unix user and I'm trying to learn the ropes. I have a big task I have to accomplish and I'm convinced Unix can get the job done, I just haven't figured out how. I recently posted on the topic of cutting text between unique text patterns and somebody helped me a great... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
24 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting fields

Hi, i have a line with several fields (indefinite number of - count varies) separated by colon. Now, i need to pick each field (except the first one) and have it assigned to variable within a loop. In other words, in the first iteration of the loop, the variable must be assigned with 2nd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting records with unique fields from a fixed width txt file

Greetings, I would like to extract records from a fixed width text file that have unique field elements. Data is structured like this: John A Smith NY Mary C Jones WA Adam J Clark PA Mary Jones WA Fieldname / start-end position Firstname 1-10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing LF and extracting two fields

I need some assistance, I am writing a script in bash. I want to do two things: 1/. I want to replace the LF at the end of the RFH  Ø  ¸MQSTR ¸ so I can process the file record by record using a while loop. 2/. I want to extract two fields from each record, they are identified with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gugs
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fields from file

I am need to extract a number of values from a file, put have now clue how to do this. The file looks like this: # My file Dest=87;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=2.5300-; Dest=87;ImageVersion=000061f3;SystemSoftwareVersion=2.5300;CDN=http://my.backup.com/download.txt;CDN_Timeout=30; I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MagicDude4Eva
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in writing a script for extracting fields

Hi, I need to extract last character of the field retrieved from the database using select command. eg: select event,text from event_data; o/p: Event1,text1 But I need to extract only '1' from the fields...similarly '2' from Event2,text2 and '3' from Event3,text3 etc., and need to pass... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Putnala
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in extracting fields from a file

I have an input file with contents like: 203969 OrdAcctCycChg USAGE_DAEMON1 203970 OrdAcctCycChg USAGE_DAEMON2 203971 OrdAcctCycChg USAGE_DAEMON3 203972 OrdAcctCycChg USAGE_DAEMON4 I need to extract variables in first column... (51 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Putnala
51 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching and extracting the required fields in Perl

Hi All, I am writing the following Perl Scrip and need your help in Pattern matching : I have the following Shell Script that would read line by line from the file (file_svn) and would inturn calls the Perl Script: #!/bin/bash perl_path="/home/dev/filter"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX extracting fields

I have one file A.txt which is comma separated and I want to extract first 4 field's in a file and also I want to add one more column in output A.txt in output for all records. A.txt should not be hard coded since I do not filename it may be any file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting specific fields from an XML file

Hello All, I have a requirement to split the input.xml file different files and i have tried using earlier examples(where i have posted in the forum), but still no luck Here is my input.xml <jms-system-resource> <name>UMSJMSSystemResource</name> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siv51427882
4 Replies
DIRCOLORS(1)							   User Commands						      DIRCOLORS(1)

NAME
dircolors - color setup for ls SYNOPSIS
dircolors [OPTION]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Output commands to set the LS_COLORS environment variable. Determine format of output: -b, --sh, --bourne-shell output Bourne shell code to set LS_COLORS -c, --csh, --c-shell output C shell code to set LS_COLORS -p, --print-database output defaults --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If FILE is specified, read it to determine which colors to use for which file types and extensions. Otherwise, a precompiled database is used. For details on the format of these files, run `dircolors --print-database'. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for dircolors is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and dircolors programs are properly installed at your site, the command info dircolors should give you access to the complete manual. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+--------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Availability | SUNWgnu-coreutils | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+--------------------+ NOTES
Source for GNU coreutils is available on http://opensolaris.org. dircolors 6.7 December 2006 DIRCOLORS(1)