Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsh script with inside a for loop Post 96457 by Perderabo on Friday 20th of January 2006 06:10:41 AM
Old 01-20-2006
For one thing, try this:
$ xyz=hello
$ echo "xyz = $xyz"
xyz = hello
$
Shells look inside double quoted strings and replace variables. Your variable $ptscluster will be replaced before your local shell even locates the rsh command. This doesn't explain why you're not looping, but I'm not a csh expert. You should put scripts in an executable file, not in an argument to a command line. Once you use something like "rsh host ./remoteloop", all of the problems will vanish. Make sure you have a line like "#! /usr/bin/csh" in your remoteloop file. Note that you can create remoteloop locally, rcp it into place, chmod it, run it, and then remove it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command in a while loop

Hi , reading a "file1" with 2 data in each line (VAR1 and VAR2) , i'm using a while loop like this : cat file1|awk '{print $1,$2}'|while read VAR1 VA2 do echo $VAR1 echo $VAR2 done as this example shows , it works but if between do and done i use a "rsh" command , the script reads... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh and for loop

hi I wanted to use the for loop structure in tandem with rsh command and the result to be redirected into a local .lst file within a shell script . Tried the following but does not help :confused: . rsh ABCD "cd /bosp/local/home/linus/;for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | awk {'print $9'}` do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee2005
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh breaking me out of loop

Hey all I have two scripts, one script containing the guts of my code. The other simply loops through a list, calling the other script on each iteration. Problem is when I add the line `/usr/bin/rsh -l root $HOSTNAME ""` to my main script, the loop never seems to exectute any more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mark007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If inside while loop script error

#!/bin/bash var1=0 x=1 while do echo "Welcome $x times" var1=$(prstat -Lc 1 1 | nawk ' /^Total/ {print substr($8,1,length($8)-1)}') echo "$var1" if then break fi sleep 6 x=$(( $x + 1 )) done giving output: bash-3.00$ ./ch1.sh Welcome 1 times 5.90 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in running while loop inside a shell script

I have an input file at ./$1.txt with content of seq numbers like : 1234567890 1234589700 . . so on.. I need to take each seq nbr from the input file ,run the query below: select ackname,seqnbr from event where event_text like '%seqnbr( from the input file)' and redirect the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing a search pattern to AWK inside a script loop

Learning, stumbling! My progress in shell scripting is slow. Now I have this doubt: I have the following file (users.txt): AU0909,on AU0309,off AU0209,on AU0109,off And this file (userson.txt) AU0909 AU0209 AU0109 AU0309 I just want to set those users on userson.txt to "off" in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh reboot in a loop?

Hi folks. I'm trying to get the following script working for rebooting a bunch of clients. Up to now I've been using PSSH, but when they all startup again at the same time I get a few mount problems. So, I'm trying to stagger the reboot command. I know reboot will depend on what's running at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-Kdnx] [-k realm] [-l username] host [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh executes command on host. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -K The -K option turns off all Kerberos authentication. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option allows the remote name to be specified. Kerberos authentication is used, and authorization is determined as in rlogin(1). -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), kerberos(3), krb_sendauth(3), krb_realmofhost(3) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)