Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar to tape and back
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar to tape and back Post 9641 by kapilv on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 01:44:08 PM
Old 10-31-2001
Hi

man tar would also provide you with a lot of information.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic Tape Back-up under UNIX

Hi guys and gir.. emm hey guys! (only kidding girls) I have been asked to provide a tutorial on how to perform an automatic back up (to tape) for 23 sun sparc workstations networked using an ethernet setup under the UNIX operating system. Sounds easy enough to you... I've never ever seen... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maross
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

3. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar?

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

8. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Bring tape paths back up in Redhat 5.4

Hi Folks, Looking for some assistance here on a Dell server connected to a Dell tape robot with Redhat 5.4 and Netbackup 6.5. Netbackup thinks the tapes are all present and working, but they are not - we lost the internal encryption keys earlier but think that they are reinstated as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back up log files using tar

Hi, I need some help writing a perl script to tar all log file to a directory and then delete the log files. Can some one please help me on this? I m Not very good with perl scripting... Thanks KK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikk0508
4 Replies
tar_append_file(3)						  C Library Calls						tar_append_file(3)

NAME
tar_append_file, tar_append_eof, tar_append_regfile - append data to tar archives SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> int tar_append_file(TAR *t, char *realname, char *savename); int tar_append_regfile(TAR *t, char *realname); int tar_append_eof(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The tar_append_file() function creates a tar file header block describing the file named by the realname argument, but with the encoded filename of savename. It then sets the current header associated with the TAR handle t to the newly created header block, and writes this block to the tar archive associated with t. If the file named by realname is a regular file (and is not encoded as a hard link), tar_append_file() will call tar_append_regfile() to append the contents of the file. The tar_append_regfile() function appends the contents of a regular file to the tar archive associated with t. Since this function is called by tar_append_file(), it should only be necessary for applications that construct and write the tar file header on their own. The tar_append_eof() function writes an EOF marker (two blocks of all zeros) to the tar file associated with t. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, these functions will return 0. On failure, they will return -1 and set errno to an appropriate value. ERRORS
The tar_append_*() functions will fail if: EINVAL Less than T_BLOCKSIZE bytes were written to the tar archive. EINVAL Less than T_BLOCKSIZE bytes were read from the realname file. They may also fail if any of the following functions fail: lstat(), malloc(), open(), read(), th_write(), or the write function for the file type associated with the TAR handle t. SEE ALSO
read(2), open(2), lstat(2), th_write(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 tar_append_file(3)