Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsh script with inside a for loop Post 96365 by trekianov on Thursday 19th of January 2006 12:13:45 PM
Old 01-19-2006
rsh script with inside a for loop

hi everyone,
I have the following problem: the foreach loop inside rsh doesn'work.
I have tried the for command but it's not recognized. with the foreach command I don't receive any error, but it doesn't really make the cycle, ignoring the foreach and executing 1 time the echo command. Anyone has ideas?

rsh host "cd a/b
exe<< stop
stop
exe2<<stop2
a
b
stop2
foreach ptcluster (30 35 40 45 50)
echo PTCLUS=$ptcluster
end
"

I have read read the following statement, but I don't know if it is the real issue:
"When this command is read from the terminal, the loop is read once prompting with `foreach? ' (or prompt2) before any statements in the loop are executed. If you make a mistake typing in a loop at the terminal you can rub it out."

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command in a while loop

Hi , reading a "file1" with 2 data in each line (VAR1 and VAR2) , i'm using a while loop like this : cat file1|awk '{print $1,$2}'|while read VAR1 VA2 do echo $VAR1 echo $VAR2 done as this example shows , it works but if between do and done i use a "rsh" command , the script reads... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh and for loop

hi I wanted to use the for loop structure in tandem with rsh command and the result to be redirected into a local .lst file within a shell script . Tried the following but does not help :confused: . rsh ABCD "cd /bosp/local/home/linus/;for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | awk {'print $9'}` do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee2005
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh breaking me out of loop

Hey all I have two scripts, one script containing the guts of my code. The other simply loops through a list, calling the other script on each iteration. Problem is when I add the line `/usr/bin/rsh -l root $HOSTNAME ""` to my main script, the loop never seems to exectute any more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mark007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If inside while loop script error

#!/bin/bash var1=0 x=1 while do echo "Welcome $x times" var1=$(prstat -Lc 1 1 | nawk ' /^Total/ {print substr($8,1,length($8)-1)}') echo "$var1" if then break fi sleep 6 x=$(( $x + 1 )) done giving output: bash-3.00$ ./ch1.sh Welcome 1 times 5.90 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in running while loop inside a shell script

I have an input file at ./$1.txt with content of seq numbers like : 1234567890 1234589700 . . so on.. I need to take each seq nbr from the input file ,run the query below: select ackname,seqnbr from event where event_text like '%seqnbr( from the input file)' and redirect the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing a search pattern to AWK inside a script loop

Learning, stumbling! My progress in shell scripting is slow. Now I have this doubt: I have the following file (users.txt): AU0909,on AU0309,off AU0209,on AU0109,off And this file (userson.txt) AU0909 AU0209 AU0109 AU0309 I just want to set those users on userson.txt to "off" in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh reboot in a loop?

Hi folks. I'm trying to get the following script working for rebooting a bunch of clients. Up to now I've been using PSSH, but when they all startup again at the same time I get a few mount problems. So, I'm trying to stagger the reboot command. I know reboot will depend on what's running at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument...] DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)