Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Server hung
Operating Systems HP-UX Server hung Post 96355 by Perderabo on Thursday 19th of January 2006 11:21:19 AM
Old 01-19-2006
Type "dmesg" to see the last few kernel messages. But that "Terminating selection process. No boot device found" says it all. Your root disk is failing. Make sure you have a good backup.

10.20 is a very old OS and it is not supported anymore. .

F**F = os is running
FA*F = load is 10 or above
F*1F = only one cpu

Boxes with displays like that are pretty old. A 9000/E240 or something like that is my guess. That is not supported anymore either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

system hung

I installed sco unix v 5.0.5 in the hp server lc 2000 HD size 27gb & ram 256 , used micro focus cobol for unix , aplication system bank , the problem is the system hung 2 or 3 times a day will you pls. give me the solution. thanks talib alsaadi :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talib alsaadi
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hung Port

Here's a difficult one for you. I am on HPUX 11.0. I have a hung port, it is stuck in FIN_WAIT_2. Short of rebooting, how can I terminate the connection the system thinks still exists? I found a script online that uses adb but have not been able to get it to work. I am still open to using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close_wait connections causing a server to hung

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone of you have been in a situation where you end up having around 100 close_wait connections and seems to me those connections are locking up resources/processes in the server so unless the server is rebooted those processes won't be released by the close_wait... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring for a hung process

A coworker has a shell script that runs from a scheduler at the 3am. The shell script runs sqlplus passing in a sql statement, which generate a file. This is done 21 times for 21 different sql statements. Recently, one of the sqlplus processes got hung. Is there a way to monitor how long the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prismtx
2 Replies

5. Programming

Subroutine Hung

Hi friends I am Administrator for a system works with uinx OS but, many times I get messages from server console inform me about Subroutine is Hanging so what can I do to reset this Subroutine? Note: always when I got that I restart the server but I think that is not professional solution. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

7. SuSE

Server hung with firmware error

Hi all We've had an issue over the weekend when one of the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 hung and had to be rebooted. The thing is that I got the ticket alert for a FS exceeding its usage at about 22:41:49 PM on 23 March. I checked the dmesg, the messages log and the boot.msg but all I found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
1 Replies

8. Linux

Server hung, is this a stack trace?

Hi everyone, Our Red Hat server hung yesterday, and I managed to log into the console and see the following message: RIP: 0010: mwait_idle_with_hints+0x66/ 0x67 RSP: 0018:ffffffff80457f40 EFLAGS: 00000046 RAX: 0000000000000010 RBX: ffff810c20075910 RCX: 0000000000000001 RDX:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the process is Hung?

I wish to monitor if my Tomcat process if Running, Hung, or Shutdown. I cannot use any third party monitoring tools so i decided to use one of these to test if the tomcat server is responding or not . 1. nslookup 2. telnet 3. ps The reason I do not use wget / curl is because it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Can HPOV monitor server hung state ?

Hi, We have Solaris-10 running on VMware (x86). It is being monitored by HP Openview. Sometimes when this server hungs, while ping still works, HPOpenview can't alert that server is down (which is actually unresponsive). First symptom we see is, login failure. It will ask user name and after... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
BLOGD(8)						       The SuSE boot concept							  BLOGD(8)

NAME
blogd - boot logging on /dev/console SYNOPSIS
/sbin/blogd [/dev/realtty] DESCRIPTION
Without argument blogd determines the real underlying character device of /dev/console. blogd spawns a pty/tty pair to reconnect the cur- rent /dev/console with the slave of the pty/tty pair. During writing information from this slave to the real character device a ring buffer is used to hold the information for writing it to an existing logging file. To fetch the real tty of /dev/console the program showconsole(8) can be used. This has the advantage that blogd will not hold the real character device of /dev/console as its controlling tty (would hangup any running getty on that character device). SIGNALS
blogd knows a few signal to contol its behavior. SIGQUIT, SIGINT, and SIGTERM will cause blogd tries to write out the ring buffer and to exit. SIGIO says blogd that now it is able to write on /var/log/boot.msg which means that the file system is mounted read/write and the kernel messages are written to that file. SIGSYS says blogd that it should stop writing to disk but continue to repeat messages to the old devices of the system console. BUGS
blogd needs a mounted /proc and /dev/pts file system and tries to set the controlling tty to stdin if the real character device of /dev/console is not given. After reading /proc blogd tries to restore the status of the controlling tty to avoid problems with getty pro- cesses. This can fail because blogd forks to run in the background as a daemon. FILES
/proc/<pid of blogd>/stat the stat file of the blogd process. /dev/console the system console. /var/log/boot.msg logging file which is created by klogd(8) or dmesg(8). SEE ALSO
showconsole(8), syslogd(8), klogd(8), dmesg(8), proc(5). COPYRIGHT
2000 Werner Fink, 2000 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> 3rd Berkeley Distribution Nov 10, 2000 BLOGD(8)