Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To find CPU Usage
Top Forums Programming To find CPU Usage Post 96327 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 19th of January 2006 10:09:15 AM
Old 01-19-2006
Finding cpu usage of another process is generally a hardware dependent kind of thing.
What hardware and OS are you using?

Plus, most of the tools available for system information usually work better in a shell script. C is normally not the best choice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting CPU Usage

For analysis, I need to gather CPU usage from say 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM every 10 seconds on a given day. I heard this can be done with awk, but my UNIX is kind of rusty. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WG1
4 Replies

3. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Find any spike in CPU usage a hour ago

Folks, I need to find out from the system logs ( or elsewhere ) if the CPU utilization reached say 90% an hour ago from now. Is there a way out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavera
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

8. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find out memory & cpu usage of a process

Hi, By using time command we can determine the execution time of a process or command. bash-2.04$ time ls -l total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file2 real 0m0.002s user 0m0.000s sys 0m0.001s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
5 Replies

10. BSD

How to find the usage of Individual cpu core in FreeBsd server?

Hi, If anyone know Please answer me the following question : How to find the usage of individual core cpu usage in FreeBsd server? What command is used for that? Thanks, Maruthu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
2 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)