Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A simple shell question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A simple shell question Post 9627 by a_new_admin on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 09:26:51 AM
Old 10-31-2001
A simple shell question

Hi all...

here is my question: in the following, will the `cd $ref_ntp` work?

Code:
for i in `cat $fic`
do
{
       echo " "
echo ================$i=============================
OS=`$CMD -s $i "uname"`
case $OS in
SunOS)
ref_ntp=/ref/ntp/SUN
;;
HP-UX)
ref_ntp=/ref/ntp/HP
;;
esac
 $CMD -s $i "/usr/bin/ftp -v -n `@IP` << cmd
                 user `user` `passwd`
                 cd  $ref_ntp
                 lcd /tmp
                 get install.sh
                 quit
                 cmd "
 $CMD -s $i "/usr/bin/chmod +x /tmp/install.sh"
} >>  $NTP_DIR/resultats/deploi_ntp
sleep 1

done
Thanx
Jason
a_new_admin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simple Question

Friends, I did following exercise $ echo '' > test $ od -b test $ echo "">test $ od -b test $echo > test $od -b test Every time I got the following output 0000000 012 0000001 But 012 is octal value for new line character . Even though there is no apperent new line character... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

two simple question on shell scripts....

:D my first question is how can envoke filename expansion from within a shell script.. forinstance if i execute the script and it asks for a specific directory that i would like to cd to, how can i get the script to use the same file name expension as the command line.. my second question is how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

If given some output such as: "I'm having a senior moment" How do you print the last six characters to the screen? I'm thinking with awk or sed but can't remember how. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stepnkev
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script Question.... [java related]

Hey guys! This is my first post, as im new here :S I have a simple problem for a big program. We have a .sh to install it, but when I run the .sh in terminal like i should, It says the class is not found. I believe it has to do with the syntax, as the person who made it is not a linux pro. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drags111
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Hi Guys, I've been learning UNIX for the past couple of days and I came across this exercise, I can't get my head around it, so I would be ever so grateful if I could receive some sort of help or direction with this. Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aforball
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very simple question 2

Hey , another question is below: Administrator@fe038390aa60482 ~/Frank/20130509 $ c=`ls -ls` Administrator@fe038390aa60482 ~/Frank/20130509 $ echo $c Total 4 1 -rwxr--r-- 1 Administrator None 482 May 9 11:07 do_increment 1 -rwxr --r-- 1 Administrator None 272 May 9 11:32 do_square 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)