Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming synchronizing multiple threads in unix Post 96142 by bankpro on Wednesday 18th of January 2006 04:19:29 AM
Old 01-18-2006
synchronizing multiple threads in unix

hi all!

I wanted to know how to synchronize multiple threads in unix

It would be better if someone give some code samples

Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to use pipe() in multiple threads?

Hi, I have a program that runs two threads in stead of two processes. I want to use pipe to redirect the output of the first thread to the input of the second thread. One thread is continuously writing to a pipe, and the other thread will read from the pipe. How do I do that? Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wminghao
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to choose Multiple process or Multiple threads?

Hi All, Please explain me when i have to use multiple process and when I have to use Multiple threads? Please give me an example.It will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashleykumar
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning multiple threads in Unix

Hi, I need to spawn mutilpe threads , each invoking a different set of shell scripts, in parallel. What would be the best way to do that. Any sample script would greatly help. I am a novice at Unix so any help is much appreciated. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
5 Replies

4. Programming

File access from multiple processes or threads?

Hi, Can anyone give me any idea when multiple processes access a file (like opening it, modifying it etc.) how can the synchronization can be done if they can access the same file at any time? How can this scenario is different from when multiple threads access a same file, modifying it etc- in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files in Multiple Threads

Hello all, I have a directory of files of varying sizes. I want to copy all these files in n number of threads to another directory such that each copy set is more or less the same size. Example : Say /mydirA It has around say 23 files of various sizes. Number of copy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Very Challenging :Copy files in Multiple Threads

Hello all, I asked this in the basic Unix forum got no answer since one week. So I believe this is an advanced level question hence posting it here. Any suggestions welcome. I have a directory of files of varying sizes. I want to copy all these files in n number of threads to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoo
2 Replies

7. Programming

creating multiple threads using single thread id

Hi all, Can I create multiple threads using single thread_id like pthread_t thread_id; pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_xs, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_ys, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_zs, NULL); pthread_join(thread_id, NULL); what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make this run in multiple threads

Hi, I have a list of URLs in a csv file which I'm checking for page status. It just prints the URL and the status as output. This works perfectly fine. I'm looking to run this in multiple threads to make this process faster. I'm pretty new to Perl and I managed to complete this. It would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzenthil
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start multiple threads in Solaris?

Hello, In a unix Solaris environment, (for simulation) how to start multiple threads (as Light Weight Process, not background process)? thanks, J. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seafan
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create multiple threads

Hi , i need to run multiple scripts parallely ,on my server....i have 8 cpus . planning to run minimum of 6 scripts paralley ....could you please suggest someone . thanks in advance , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huvan
3 Replies
mutex(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						  mutex(5)

NAME
mutex - concepts relating to mutual exclusion locks DESCRIPTION
Mutual exclusion locks (mutexes) prevent multiple threads from simultaneously executing critical sections of code which access shared data (that is, mutexes are used to serialize the execution of threads). All mutexes must be global. A successful call to acquire a mutex will cause another thread that is also trying to lock the same mutex to block until the owner thread unlocks the mutex. Mutexes can synchronize threads within the same process or in other processes. Mutexes can be used to synchronize threads between processes if the mutexes are allocated in writable memory and shared among the cooperating processes (see mmap(2)), and have been initialized for this task. The following table lists mutex functions and the actions they perform. +-----------------------+-----------------------------------+ | FUNCTION | ACTION | |mutex_init | Initialize a mutex. | |mutex_destroy | Destroy a mutex. | |mutex_lock | Lock a mutex. | |mutex_trylock | Attempt to lock a mutex. | |mutex_unlock | Unlock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_init | Initialize a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_destroy | Destroy a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_lock | Lock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_trylock | Attempt to lock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_unlock | Unlock a mutex. | +-----------------------+-----------------------------------+ Initialization Mutexes are either intra-process or inter-process, depending upon the argument passed implicitly or explicitly to the initialization of that mutex. A statically allocated mutex does not need to be explicitly initialized; by default, a statically allocated mutex is initial- ized with all zeros and its scope is set to be within the calling process. For inter-process synchronization, a mutex needs to be allocated in memory shared between these processes. Since the memory for such a mutex must be allocated dynamically, the mutex needs to be explicitly initialized with the appropriate attribute that indicates inter- process use. Locking and Unlocking A critical section of code is enclosed by a call to lock the mutex and the call to unlock the mutex to protect it from simultaneous access by multiple threads. Only one thread at a time may possess mutually exclusive access to the critical section of code that is enclosed by the mutex-locking call and the mutex-unlocking call, whether the mutex's scope is intra-process or inter-process. A thread calling to lock the mutex either gets exclusive access to the code starting from the successful locking until its call to unlock the mutex, or it waits until the mutex is unlocked by the thread that locked it. Mutexes have ownership, unlike semaphores. Only the thread that locked a mutex, (that is, the owner of the mutex), should unlock it. If a thread waiting for a mutex receives a signal, upon return from the signal handler, the thread resumes waiting for the mutex as if there was no interrupt. Caveats Mutexes are almost like data - they can be embedded in data structures, files, dynamic or static memory, and so forth. Hence, they are easy to introduce into a program. However, too many mutexes can degrade performance and scalability of the application. Because too few mutexes can hinder the concurrency of the application, they should be introduced with care. Also, incorrect usage (such as recursive calls, or violation of locking order, and so forth) can lead to deadlocks, or worse, data inconsistencies. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmap(2), shmop(2), mutex_destroy(3C), mutex_init(3C), mutex_lock(3C), mutex_trylock(3C), mutex_unlock(3C), pthread_create(3C), pthread_mutex_destroy(3C), pthread_mutex_init(3C), pthread_mutex_lock(3C), pthread_mutex_trylock(3C), pthread_mutex_unlock(3C), pthread_mutexattr_init(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
In the current implementation of threads, pthread_mutex_lock(), pthread_mutex_unlock(), mutex_lock() mutex_unlock(), pthread_mutex_try- lock(), and mutex_trylock() do not validate the mutex type. Therefore, an uninitialized mutex or a mutex with an invalid type does not return EINVAL. Interfaces for mutexes with an invalid type have unspecified behavior. By default, if multiple threads are waiting for a mutex, the order of acquisition is undefined. USYNC_THREAD does not support multiple mappings to the same logical synch object. If you need to mmap() a synch object to different loca- tions within the same address space, then the synch object should be initialized as a shared object USYNC_PROCESS for Solaris, and PTHREAD_PROCESS_PRIVATE for POSIX. SunOS 5.10 20 Jul 1998 mutex(5)