Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounted Root Filesystem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Mounted Root Filesystem Post 96105 by Perderabo on Tuesday 17th of January 2006 02:59:42 PM
Old 01-17-2006
It must be in your automounter maps somewhere. The master map is usually /etc/auto_master and it probably is there. If not, it will be in some file referenced by the master map. I usually just shut down automount.

Suppose you have a file in the root filesystem called /usr/somefile. But then you mount /usr, so you can no longer see /usr/somefile. A mount like you have there would restore access to that file. When /usr is mounted, the permissions on /usr are supposed to come from the root directory of the usr filesystem. Some, maybe all, versions of SunOS get the permissions instead from /usr in the root filesystem. Should they be wrong, you need to umount /usr, chmod /usr, and remount /usr. Or use this mount trick to gain access to the mount point. These are the only reasons I know to have a mount like that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell if a filesystem is NFS mounted?

I would like to know if there is a command or set of commands that I can run to verify that there are no 'extraneous' nfs mounted filesystems on our server. I didn't see anything in doing a search on NFS. We think that we may have some filesystems that are still nfs mounted when the link should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing if nfs filesystem is mounted

Hello, I have a backup script that backs up my system to a nfs mounted file system. The mount point on my local system is /backup. I want my script to check whether the nfs file system is mounted on /backup before actually backing anything up. Even if the nfs file system was NOT mounted,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ filesystem is mounted read only

how do you fsck the / filesystem? I know it does it automatically the next time I boot up following a switch on the wall shutdown but is there a flad somewhere that forces this on next boot up? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGK
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to find the time a filesystem was mounted without using root privileges

Hi, Im running RHEL. How do I find the time a particular filesystem was mounted? Please Let me know Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neuralninja
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find the time a filesystem was mounted without using root privileges

Hi, Im running RHEL. How do I find the time a particular filesystem was mounted? Please Let me know Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neuralninja
1 Replies

6. Solaris

UFS filesystem mounted on 2 hosts question

I have two Unix (Solaris) hosts that are both attached to our SAN. They are both presented with the same luns. What I want to do is have the same UFS filesystem mounted on both hosts at the same time. What I am trying to accomplish is creating a zone that will reside on both hosts but only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beaker457
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

doubt in NFS mounted filesystem in linux

Hi, I have some filesystem which is nfs mounted and shared to other servers. Nfs server name= nfsserver (here filesystem is locally mounted) server name where filesystem is shared = sharedserver1 and sharedserver2 filesystem which is shared = /filesystem1 when i am checking utilization by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if NAS filesystem is mounted

Anyone know the best way to check and see if a NAS filesystem is mounted on a linux box. I have no idea where to start :wall:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3mon_spawn
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Have mounted a filesystem in /var and now cannot log in

hi, i might not be posting my question in the right place because i don't know where to post questions my question is like this i created a partition named 'var' in the SOLARIS os .,and then i knowingly mounted it on /var ..now after doing this am not able to login to my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

10. AIX

Filesystem Mounted at the server

Hello Gurus, Can you please suggest what is the command of all the filesystems which are mounted at the server. Thanks- Pokhraj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
1 Replies
Sys::Filesystem::Solaris(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Sys::Filesystem::Solaris(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Filesystem::Solaris - Return Solaris filesystem information to Sys::Filesystem SYNOPSIS
See Sys::Filesystem. INHERITANCE
Sys::Filesystem::Solaris ISA Sys::Filesystem::Unix ISA UNIVERSAL METHODS
version () Return the version of the (sub)module. ATTRIBUTES
The following is a list of filesystem properties which may be queried as methods through the parent Sys::Filesystem object. device Resource name. device_to_fsck The raw device to fsck. mount_point The default mount directory. fs_vfstype The name of the file system type. fs_freq The number used by fsck to decide whether to check the file system automatically. mount_at_boot Whether the file system should be mounted automatically by mountall. fs_mntops The file system mount options. time The time at which the file system was mounted. SEE ALSO
Solaris::DeviceTree VERSION
$Id: Solaris.pm 128 2010-05-12 13:16:44Z trevor $ AUTHOR
Nicola Worthington <nicolaw@cpan.org> - <http://perlgirl.org.uk> Jens Rehsack <rehsack@cpan.org> - <http://www.rehsack.de/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004,2005,2006 Nicola Worthington. Copyright 2009,2010 Jens Rehsack. This software is licensed under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> perl v5.10.1 2010-05-18 Sys::Filesystem::Solaris(3pm)