Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question about groups
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers question about groups Post 9608 by guru on Tuesday 30th of October 2001 10:17:29 PM
Old 10-30-2001
1) if you are on a solaris box you can just use the command groupadd. if you dont have groupadd you can just add it to the file /etc/group. the format will be something like this:

root::0:john, where root is the group name, 0 is the GID (group ID) and john is a user in the group root. you can add more users separated by commas. e.g. root::0:john,mike,jennifer

2) to delete a file that starts with a '-', or any other special character, just do rm ./-filename. to do this you have to be in the same directory as the file. or if you are in let's say /etc and the file is in /root and the filename is '-file' . you would do this: rm /root/-file .

3) to login as a different user, use the command su (switch user) username. e.g. 'su john'. to have john's preferences you would use 'su - john'. if you just type su it will ask you for the root password, because root is the default username for the su command.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User groups

Hi I have a user zak and 4 groups:- oracle stats data archive I want user zak to be part of the oracle and stats group but not be able to view,list anything in data and archive. Also anyone in the data and archive group should not be able to view,list anything in oracle and stats....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

3. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

volume groups

Do we have concepts of volume groups in solaris like we have in Linux(command: vgdiplay) and AIX(command: lsvg). If yes, then what commands/ files can give details for same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Groups access

Hi all, Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem. Basically I use the HP-UX OS and I work with 2 top level directories. /z/group1 /z/group2 these 2 dirs are managed where group1 can only be access by one set of users and group2 another. This is managed by adding the 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Groups is not visible

OS : SunOS 5.8 I am trying to add a user ad3059 to the following groups, A B C D ( four groups A,B,C,D) When i use usermod command and add the user to the above groups, and go to > groups ad3059 other C D It doesnt show A and B groups and shows it as other.Please advice on how... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi2089
13 Replies
LOGIN.ACCESS(5)                                               BSD File Formats Manual                                              LOGIN.ACCESS(5)

NAME
login.access -- login access control table DESCRIPTION
The login.access file specifies on which ttys or from which hosts certain users are allowed to login. At login, the /etc/login.access file is checked for the first entry that matches a specific user/host or user/tty combination. That entry can either allow or deny login access to that user. Each entry have three fields separated by colon: o The first field indicates the permission given if the entry matches. It can be either ``+'' (allow access) or ``-'' (deny access) . o The second field is a comma separated list of users or groups for which the current entry applies. NIS netgroups can used (if configured) if preceeded by @. The magic string ALL matches all users. A group will match if the user is a member of that group, or it is the user's primary group. o The third field is a list of ttys, or network names. A network name can be either a hostname, a domain (indicated by a starting period), or a netgroup. As with the user list, ALL matches anything. LOCAL matches a string not containing a period. If the string EXCEPT is found in either the user or from list, the rest of the list are exceptions to the list before EXCEPT. BUGS
If there's a user and a group with the same name, there is no way to make the group match if the user also matches. SEE ALSO
login(1) AUTHORS
The login_access() function was written by Wietse Venema. This manual page was written for Heimdal. HEIMDAL March 21, 2003 HEIMDAL