Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question about groups
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers question about groups Post 9607 by zorro on Tuesday 30th of October 2001 10:00:31 PM
Old 10-30-2001
Question question about groups

Smilie I have a very elementary question that is kind of buggin me because I cannot figure it out.

1. How do you make a new group, give it a name, and assign permissions to specific users to access this group?

2. How do you delete a file that begins with a '-'?

3. How do you login as a different user within the same terminal in UNIX (obviously without completely logging out and re-logging in as the different user)?

Any kind of help is appreciatedSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User groups

Hi I have a user zak and 4 groups:- oracle stats data archive I want user zak to be part of the oracle and stats group but not be able to view,list anything in data and archive. Also anyone in the data and archive group should not be able to view,list anything in oracle and stats....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

3. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

volume groups

Do we have concepts of volume groups in solaris like we have in Linux(command: vgdiplay) and AIX(command: lsvg). If yes, then what commands/ files can give details for same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Groups access

Hi all, Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem. Basically I use the HP-UX OS and I work with 2 top level directories. /z/group1 /z/group2 these 2 dirs are managed where group1 can only be access by one set of users and group2 another. This is managed by adding the 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Groups is not visible

OS : SunOS 5.8 I am trying to add a user ad3059 to the following groups, A B C D ( four groups A,B,C,D) When i use usermod command and add the user to the above groups, and go to > groups ad3059 other C D It doesnt show A and B groups and shows it as other.Please advice on how... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi2089
13 Replies
NEWGRP(1)							   User Commands							 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 NEWGRP(1)